Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabinet connection

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by terraplane, Nov 21, 2002.

1. terraplane

terraplane

Oct 14, 2002
    Italy, Palermo
    Hi, I've got a problem. I play with a Italian bass head, 280W @ 8 ohm and 430 @ 4 ohm. I've got a ampeg 1x15" speaker 200W rms. I want to use a speaker that can drive 800W RMS with the 200W ampeg. The problem is: the amplifier power is divided in two equal part? The 800W speaker can recive the same power of the 200W speaker, or the more powerful cabinet can get more power then the other? I've 2 jack connection fot the speaker, ther is a difference if I use oly one of this and connect che secondspeaker to the first ? In this way power will be better divided?
    Thank you,
    Michele

2. I think I get it.
    Unless your bass amp is stereo, the output isn't divided into two parts. I presume your confusion is because you have two speaker-outs on your amp. If it's a mono amp, then both speaker-outs are essentially the same, each speaker cab plugged into them receives the same power. For example, if you plugged a 200 watt 8ohm cab into one speaker out and an 800 watt 8ohm cab into the other, your total impedance would be 4ohms and the 430 watt output from the amp would be shared equally between the cabs at 215 watts each.