1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cabinet Conversion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GrandLowBass, Feb 25, 2013.

1. GrandLowBass

GrandLowBass

Oct 26, 2012
    Kansas
    Hey all. I would very much like to convert my ported 2x10 cab to a 12/6 or perhaps a single 12 with some 3's or tweeters. I'm just looking to do this for the fun of it, but it would be nice to end up with a gig-able cab. I want it to be able to handle enough power to stand alone at a medium sized gig (preferably 400w and up at 4 ohms). Currently this cab can only handle 200 watts at 8 ohms.

I'd like some suggestions on speaker configuration, which brand of speaker to select, and anything else that comes to mind.

For reference: the face of the cab, or whatever you call the area I will be placing the speakers, is roughly 13 1/2 in x 21 3/4 in.

I'm aware of fearful cabs, but I'm not looking to go in that direction. I simply want to convert this little guy. This project may not happen for a few months, but I'd like to begin considering options. Thanks in advance!

2. For reference: the "face" of the cab is called the baffle. If you didn't already know that, you've got a lot of homework to do before modifying anything. I don't like to be 'that guy' but the Search function really is your best friend.

Or don't take my advice, mod your cab with whatever limited information you acquire, and learn the hard way. Either way.

3. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    Why are you so dead set on taking a perfectly working cab and making it into something completely different?

A better bet would be to sell your current cab and use the proceeds to build the cab you want from scratch. Or at least find an already gutted and/or blown speaker cab and convert that instead.

You're unlikely to find a single 12 that is going to actually handle the 400w you are aiming for. Even 2 cheap 10s will probably outdo most single 12s, unless you spend a ton of money on the 12.

You also didn't mention what kind of cab this is to begin with, which will also influence what you can even do with it and what kind of advice you will get. Not to mention, the dimensions you give sound extremely small, unless this is a very deep cab (seems unlikely because they would probably just make each dimension a bit bigger then), so the performance of any speaker you put in it will be limited by the internal (spatial) volume.

But because it sounds like this started life as a cheap budget cab that is likely too small to do anything serious with, I would recommend selling it to someone who will use it as is, and using the proceeds to build something from scratch. Since it's likely the cab isn't worth very much, you could probably go ahead and keep it until the new homemade cab is ready to go (unless your budget is really that tight in which case you might have to go without a cab for a while, if you don't have another to fall back on).

4. GrandLowBass

GrandLowBass

Oct 26, 2012
    Kansas
    Thanks for the information guys. I used the search feature but found little on cab conversions, perhaps because they are a bad idea. Sorry for my mistake.

Superjesus, I appreciate your frank reply. I sure do have a lot of homework to do before I attempt any sort of cabinet construction/modification. In fact, I know next to nothing; that's why I came here. But thanks anyway.

5. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    What a great attitude! That's how people learn :)

I seriously admire your ability to self correct and keep moving...kudos!