1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cabinet Design Question- Small Driver, Big Box

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ESP-LTD, Jan 12, 2003.

1. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I've about decided on my low-end driver and I'm looking at a 10" for biamp use.

What do you do when you have a driver with an optimum alignment of .5 cu. ft or less, and you want to have a "normal" sized box in your stack?

Do you make a small compartment, or just throw the driver in any box size, knowing it will never go low anyway?

2. flacko

flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    From memory I used about .38 cu ft for my Eminence B102. Ideally should be about .3 but there is a constraint of housing the width and depth of any given speaker and I think I remember not being able to do that in .3 cu foot.

Stuffed the box with Acoustic wadding and it works like a dream.

I housed the driver in a sub-chamber in a 15" cab. I think you may loose tightness in the sound if the box is over large - bgavin or one of the other gurus can advise better than me.

3. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    That was my concern- mud. But I didn't know if that was a factor when I would be only sending it signal below 150hz.

I could certainly make a false back and an internal compartment- nice spot to store some cables and such.

4. rickycootee

rickycootee

Oct 24, 2001
    Statesboro GA
    speakers are designed to work with a certain amount of backpressure so if you put a speaker in a considerably larger box than is recommended then you will not get the required backpressure which results in muddiness

5. flacko

flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    I use my 10" driver above the same Xover point (in a Laney B1). When I turn off the high channel I loose the presence and fizz of the sound if you know what I mean.

I don't think you would get mud out of a driver that is not processing anything lower than 150Hz.

IMHO I wouldn't incorporate anything into the cab that could introduce shakes and rattles - I guess the rolls are ok.

6. Build the box to the correct internal volume.

I have several 10" drivers that are optimum in 0.54 cubic feet. Yes, this makes a very small cabinet, especially if you keep a standard width foot print, such as 21" or 24" wide.

You can make the box deeper by extending the 4 sides, but recessing the back panel to keep the volume the same. This will allows the empty portion of the box to be used for cable storage, etc.

A small cabinet with a large displacment 10" driver will need a large port diameter to avoid chuffing. A large port for a tiny cabinet means a very long duct. You can make a shelf port duct that folds on itself like a transmission line, and that will eat up the spare room in your cabinet. A shelf port with 7.875 square inches requires a 45" long port to tune 0.54 cubic feet to 28 Hz. This is a port diameter of about 3.17 inches.

7. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I will build my box to the correct specs- thanx to all.