Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabinet Design Question- Small Driver, Big Box

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ESP-LTD, Jan 12, 2003.

1. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I've about decided on my low-end driver and I'm looking at a 10" for biamp use.

What do you do when you have a driver with an optimum alignment of .5 cu. ft or less, and you want to have a "normal" sized box in your stack?

Do you make a small compartment, or just throw the driver in any box size, knowing it will never go low anyway?

2. flacko

flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    From memory I used about .38 cu ft for my Eminence B102. Ideally should be about .3 but there is a constraint of housing the width and depth of any given speaker and I think I remember not being able to do that in .3 cu foot.

Stuffed the box with Acoustic wadding and it works like a dream.

I housed the driver in a sub-chamber in a 15" cab. I think you may loose tightness in the sound if the box is over large - bgavin or one of the other gurus can advise better than me.

3. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    That was my concern- mud. But I didn't know if that was a factor when I would be only sending it signal below 150hz.

I could certainly make a false back and an internal compartment- nice spot to store some cables and such.

4. rickycootee

rickycootee

Oct 24, 2001
    Statesboro GA
    speakers are designed to work with a certain amount of backpressure so if you put a speaker in a considerably larger box than is recommended then you will not get the required backpressure which results in muddiness

5. flacko

flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    I use my 10" driver above the same Xover point (in a Laney B1). When I turn off the high channel I loose the presence and fizz of the sound if you know what I mean.

I don't think you would get mud out of a driver that is not processing anything lower than 150Hz.

IMHO I wouldn't incorporate anything into the cab that could introduce shakes and rattles - I guess the rolls are ok.

6. Build the box to the correct internal volume.

I have several 10" drivers that are optimum in 0.54 cubic feet. Yes, this makes a very small cabinet, especially if you keep a standard width foot print, such as 21" or 24" wide.

You can make the box deeper by extending the 4 sides, but recessing the back panel to keep the volume the same. This will allows the empty portion of the box to be used for cable storage, etc.

A small cabinet with a large displacment 10" driver will need a large port diameter to avoid chuffing. A large port for a tiny cabinet means a very long duct. You can make a shelf port duct that folds on itself like a transmission line, and that will eat up the spare room in your cabinet. A shelf port with 7.875 square inches requires a 45" long port to tune 0.54 cubic feet to 28 Hz. This is a port diameter of about 3.17 inches.

7. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I will build my box to the correct specs- thanx to all.