Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cabinet design

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by realitycheck, Sep 16, 2005.

1. realitycheck

realitycheck

Sep 8, 2005
    Alright guys I have been reading about designing my own cabinet. First of all moderators I had no clue where to put this so move it wherever you need too. I literally read everything on the faq already. I am still confused about alot of things but I feel more knowledgeable now than before. I want to know what is the best thing I can read up on to understand more about building these cabinets?? I want to learn all that I can about this, I want to build my own bass cabinet but also I am into customizing cars and one day will be making my own business out of it. So I need to know everything about it I can. Any information will be helpful whatever you think would help me to learn about this please inform me.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    My best advice is not to even dream about designing your own until you've built at least a half dozen from exisiting designs. There are many details about the basic construction aspects alone to learn before theory even enters the picture. Trying to do so would be akin to building a car from scratch without ever having rebuilt one. First things first, get a book like Dickason or Weems to understand how a speaker works.

3. realitycheck

realitycheck

Sep 8, 2005
    Ok so where can I get these books? Whats the best way to learn the theory aspect?

4. realitycheck

realitycheck

Sep 8, 2005
    Anyone! I think im lost in the black hole of nobody knows.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Amazon.com. Vance Dickason. David Weems.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Hey Realitycheck, good to see you made it over here to the amps forum...

...I'd check out the cab designs of a guy named Bill Fitzmaurice.

You might have heard of him.

I don't make my own cabs, but the general concensus here is that the guy knows his stuff! Check out his website, I know he sells designs for cabs, and it would be a great place to start.

(I had to say it since TB rules tell us that Bill can't!)

7. The first required-reading is Vance Dickason's "Loudspeaker Cookbook." This will get you a reasonable explanation of enough theory to get your feet wet. Or scare you off.

8. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Absolutely agree.