Cabinet downsizing - must retain lows

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzercountry, Aug 1, 2005.

1. jazzercountry

jazzercountry Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses

Well, I'm moving from my house into a second floor apartment, so my days of keeping my Acme B4 in its road case in the garage are over. I need something smaller, possibly modular so that I can use just one cab for upright/low volume stuff and then bring both for the full deal. The problem is, I'm not really willing to sacrifice in the low end department. I'm using a Aguilar DB680 which I'm 100% attached to, and I'll be picking up a single space power amp (Peavey DPC/Stewart World) very soon.

I know 112's are becoming the new standard for this type of rig, but I'm a little wary of them because of a bad experience with an Aguilar GS112 (I was extremely disappointed with the low end in this cabinet). I think for this reason I'll be limited to Accugroove, but I'm definitely open to suggestion as I've only tried a few different cabinets.

What I've used in the past -

Accugroove Tri 208 - great sound, a little quiet for me

Acme Low B2 & B4 - I'd go back to a B2, but Acmes and Stewart power do not a good match make. I'm a fan of the Acme tone, though.

Aguilar GS112 - hated it. Sounded boxy, with too much low end breakup.

What sounds like I'd like to try -

Accugroove Tri 110 or Tri 112 - A pair of either one of these is sounding best to me at this point. It's a shame the Steve Lawson powered 110's aren't out yet.

Bergantino, Epifani, Schroeder, EA - ??? I'm really open to suggestion here. The only caveats are low end and portability (one hand carry is my new mantra).

Thanks everybody, I know these topics have been beaten to death - but in my searches I haven't really found what I'm specifically looking for.

2. Sounds like you're describing exactly what the Schroeder
    cabinets were made for. Here's a link:
  3. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Is 18 lbs more gonna be a deal breaker?

The Tri 210 sounds like it would be juuuust right - but it is a 56 lb (or so) cab. The Tri112 is close, but quieter and certainly lighter.

If you are going to do both upright and electric through what you get I would certainly go Accu. My pick would be the 210 as it is louder than the 112 and you might not need a second cab.

My $.02
  4. Sounds like a good suggestion.... and the increased efficiency versus the Acme410 might result in the Tri210 sounding louder and fuller than you might think. The Epifani310UL is only around 48 pounds, and puts out a lot of wump...but very different sounding than the Acme's.... much more upper mid articulation and a much tighter low end plus much crisper and 'out front' treble... which might or might not be your thing. Also, similar to the Accugroove... much more efficient.. which might be important given your move to a single space power amp.
  5. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

My Schroeder 1212 is all the bottom end I could ever want and more. With a 1210 on top, it would be frightening.
  6. I'm also very fond of my 1210, which would also be a very good option.
  7. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    My DR250/Tuba24 does exactly what you describe. I had the DR250 made with ports that extend the LF cutoff below 50Hz, (at the expense of a couple dB sensitivity) for use as single (30lb.) box, but the Tuba24 really fills out the lower registers for electric 5er work.
  8. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I get pretty good results with my Eden WT-550 and Bergantino HT112. I do add just a touch of "Low" on the EQ. But it's tough to beat that cab - 39 lbs. and loud.
  9. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Give Carl Weber (CWA Audio) a call...

I have 2 of his 12 cabs ( actually a twelve and a 6.5 midrange).

I wish there was a way to get everyone to hear these cabs..they sound great..
  10. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    EA's CXL-112 can get plenty of lows. I also like their NL-210 which is actually a little lighter weight (at least mine is), but the 112 handles lows better. Both of them are one handers. I'd really like to hear an accugroove cab some time, but that isn't likely in Oklahoma.
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Another vote for the Epi UL310. I am also fond of the UL112.

12. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Two Tri-112's would be my choice. You would definitely not lack for low end. Thirty-eight pounds each is a pretty light load! The extra mid & tweeters would sound even better than your B-4 :bassist:
  13. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    For weight...check out Flite ( ).

I just bought a Flite 1x15 that weighs an unbelievable 27 lbs. The secret is the composite cabinet material, which I got a look's a thin wood/foam/thin wood sandwich.

Their downward-firing, 3-way 1x12 has gotten good reviews.

I won't comment on which model has the best lows, etc... I had a specific requirement and the 1x15 met it quite nicely.

I'm no speaker guru, but in general: You can't break the laws of physics. You can only get so small before you sacrifice low frequency response. It doesn't matter who makes the cabinet...everybody has to play by the same rules.

Some eminent bassists (e.g. Ron Carter) use these cabs.

The guys who run the company appear to be straight-up, nice folks. Give 'em a call.
  14. bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    What I would recommend is 1 of 2 things.

1.) Look into what amps have a 12" speaker or a 15" speaker as well as 2 10" in there. Maybe get a 15" cab and a 2x10" cab if that is an option. The reason for this is the lows come out the 12 or 15 better and the mid / highs come out the 10" better. So you got the best of both worlds.
    2.) With you and this new apartment, (in case you have crabby people next to or below you) Just raise what you already have off the ground. Put it on a higher surface. This will dramatically reduce the amout of thud that your nighbors will hear and you can keep what you got.
  15. jazzercountry

jazzercountry Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Thanks everybody for all of your input! It looks like a pair of Tri-112's is going to be the hot ticket for me. A lot of the other suggestions sounded really good, but it would be too much for me to hump up and down the stairs 4 nights a week. I think the Accugroove 12's hit that size/sound compromise just right for me. Plus, I think that a pair of them would be massive (ala Whappo Jr.) for gigs where I need some oomph.
  16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Yep. Schroeder 1210 and Thunderfunk TFB420 is a definate giant killer.
  17. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Another vote for either the Schroeder 1210 or 1212 and Thuderfunk combo!
  18. I live on 2 floor and I carry a pair of Epifani 1x12 Ultra lights up and down.The are really light and easy to bringing about gigs. Two Tri112L would be a nice pair I think. So go for it!