Cabinet Efficiency

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cosmo_Smallpiece, Feb 11, 2001.

1. I have recently changed from a Trace 1153 to a Mesa Boogie 1x15 (Diesel I think), and I am finding that I have to turn my amp up a lot further to get a usable volume.

Does anyone know if Boogie cabs are significantly less efficient than Trace Elliot. The Trace was rated at 200W Max and the Boogie is 500W. Is lower efficiency a penalty of higher power handling or are the two things unconnected?

Unfortunately I have changed bands at the same time so possibly the guitarists are playing louder.

Any advice appreciated.
  2. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    There are too many variables to tell, from what you wrote. Maybe your old cabinet was 4 ohms and the new one 8 ohms. I've heard that the M/B cabinets are pretty efficient. Power handling and efficiency don't necessarily have anything to do with each other. You may simply be dealing with needing more volume with your new band. It could also be the frequency balance: maybe your old cabinet produced midrange better than the M/B, so your sound was more audible.
    - Mike
  3. The two things that influence efficiency most are: depth of low end (minimum usable frequency), and number of same speakers in a given cab.

So you see, power is unimportant, and even impedance is of less influence than the above.

I could give a three page lecture about speaker efficiency, as I've done a lot of research on it, but I'm not gonna do that. My point is: efficiency is one of the hardest parts to grasp about loudspeakers. I don't get it completely either.
  4. I've just been to your homepage Joris - cool stuff! You must have very understanding neighbours...
  5. Hey thanks for visiting!

As a matter of fact one of my neighbours is not very considerate, since they make more noise than I do -- I don't make any. I like good quality sound reproduction. I don't like ludicously high sound pressure levels.

Why is it that some people can only enjoy music when the volume is turned completely up? I always wear earplugs to concert, when I know it's gonna be loud. And I especially wear earplugs to my own gigs!!! :D:D

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

MikeyD, I think this is it.

Trace to my ears has a very pronounced midrange, and I'm sure the amps have something to do with it, but I believe that it is a function of the speakers as well.

Andy, like MikeyD was saying, if a cabinet is louder(or more sensitive) in the midrange, it will sound louder to the human ear, because this is the range that human ears respond to the best.

That Mesa cabinet may be several DB more efficient in the lower bass, but if the Trace has a big midrange peak, it will sound louder.

Which one rumbles the walls and floors better? Which one can you feel more?

That is the one the produces the lows the best.
  7. Yes, good point, the boogie probably is more biased towards the bottom end