Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabinet for "direct" sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    This is my first post in the Amps Forum!!!! Yay!!!!

Anyway, before you kick me out ;) , I was wondering which type of cabinet (4x10, 1x15, etc...) would best give me my direct sound.

I'm useing a SAPDDI as a pre and the treble is cut all the way, so it's a pretty dark/fat sound with a fair amout of mids.

I do realize that I'd have to acctually play through a cab to hear the sound, so I'm just asking where to start (hence the mention of cabinet types ;) , hehehe...).

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    A 3-way with a woofer, midrange and tweeter. Not coincidentally that's what a good PA uses as well.

3. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Damn, quick responce :D

How about useing actual PA speakers (I use my home stereo right now :oops: )?
    I'm sure I've heard about someone useing those....

4. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    How about a 4x10 with a horn, and a 1x15 (no horn)???

Would I need to use crossovers???

5. An EA Wizzy or CXL-12 with concentric cone for the highs. These cabs sound fantastic, AND are easily mic'd to get the same tone you love.

just my .02

6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    For the last few gigs the drummer (w/electronic drums) and I have been running through a JBL G2.

The darned think works pretty good. For small gigs.

Get something like what Bill mentioned. Or what vicenzajay mentioned.

Anything reasonably flat will do.

(MOST 115's or 410's do not qualify but the higher end stuff gets closer.)

How much are you willing to spend?

:D

Joe.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The closest thing that I have found to a "direct" or "studio monitor" sound that I have heard are the Bergantino IP series cabs, which are internally powered and incorporate a DSP to allow them to be as close to "flat" (but NOT dull and unexciting!) as I have heard.

Tom.

8. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    +1 for bergantino

I for one, loooooove epifani now.

9. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Euphonic Audio cabs are the closest that I've found. There might be better, but these suckers sound good enough that I am done looking.

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Good point. EA gear is awefully darn accurate and "studio-like" too, and another favorite (though I stand by my comments above).

Tom.

11. and he says nothing about "studio" sound - just direct sound. So I assumed he was looking for the best cab to mic to get his "best" direct sound.

So I, too, stand by my earlier post. After trying quite a few options - the EA's actually give me an incredible tone for both live music and recording - and I don't have to worry about mic'ing both tweeter and driver, etc., etc. One Audix D-4 placed in front of the edge of the center cone (equidistantly covering the cone and the driver) gives me a great representation of the cab's tone for both tape and the P.A.

Jay

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I apologize if I took his comments in the wrong direction. For me, my "studio" tone and my "direct" tone are often one in the same.

Tom.

13. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    A: When I actually get around to it cost will not be an issue. I've mostly asked so that when I go to try out a new bass I'll know what to ask for (that way I don't have to use headphones!!!)

Actually, I agree with you. Studio, direct, it's all the same with the setup I have here. I just plug right into my soundcard.

Thanks for all the responces :D

14. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Oh, in that case, Meyer sound!

15. Apologize? You're killing me :) You helped me get turned on to EA cabinets, Tom.

Hope you're doing well.

Jay

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes, indeed. :) Thanks for asking.

Tom.