1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cabinet for fender bassman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by daniri, Mar 26, 2006.

1. daniri

daniri

Mar 26, 2006
    I picked up a SF Fender Bassman to use for small gigs and rehearsals, but now need a good small cabinet for it. The original 2x15 cab sounds great but I'd like something smaller that I can put in the car, but still get the most out of my 50 watts.
    Any ideas?

2. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    I've been thinking about the same thing...recently lucked into a Bassman 50 that I revived. It'd be nice to have similar cosmetics.

Otherwise, I think a decent 4 ohm 210 cab would be a good choice for a compact cab. I thought the head sounded good through my Eden D210T.

One small hassle is that the head is wider than the end of a 210 cab. It'd have to be used horizontally so that the amp could rest on its feet and transmit less vibration. Or put some sort of damping material in between the head and cab.

I'll be checking back for ideas.

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I really liked my Schroeder 1210 with my '65 Bassman. The 1210 combo keeps 10 punch, and adds 12 round and fat. Schroeders are very efficient as well, so you really get the most of you 50 (yeah, on the very best of days, mine showed 42 after a complete rebuild) watts.
    This pairing actually worked very nice for double bass as well!

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Schroeder Schroeder bloody schroeder! :hyper:

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    See my Avatar (it's an LDS 2x12 / 2x6).

6. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    might want to try two EA CXL112's... rig1.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine

Sweeeeet.

8. +1 on the dual CXL-112's, I recently picked up a v-type and some say it's reminiscent of the old bassmans. Anyway, it's set up exactly like BassGreaser's on top of two horozontally placed CXL112's, because it's to wide to sit on top of a single cab. I think they really bring out the bottom, and are nice and clear to compliment the harmonic content of the tubes.

9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've really enjoyed an Ashdown ABM 1x15 with a low-powered tube head. I haven't tried it with a Bassman yet, but will definitely check it out this week, now that I'm thinking of it.

10. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I don't know what all cosmetic mods you did to those cxl-112's, but they look very nice. Is that a differing color spray finish, tolex, or bare wood on them? Looks kinda like wood, but it is hard to tell. The grills look a little bare without the EA logo, but I think that red logo might kill the look.

PS: +1 more on the cxl-112 suggestion...

11. I have 2 Ampeg 210HE cabs that I use with my '68 Bassman (I have a '76 bassman for backup - both heads redone to be AA165 from AB165). I take both cabs when working with a drummer (4 ohms) and get great volume from those efficient cabs, and use just 1 cab for folk/jazz gigs. I use it for both electric and upright bass as well as other instruments. I am totally hooked on this rig's tone.