1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cabinet for my Ampeg SVT 3 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by farewelltowords, Mar 10, 2008.

1. farewelltowords

farewelltowords

Jul 22, 2006
    Yes, the name was stolen from the other similar thread, but i'm actually in the same situation as the other guy because i have just bough an ampeg svt 3 pro. Since this amp is "less better" and a lot less powerful than the ampeg svt 2, i decided to make a topic for this one too.

What do you think are the best cabs to go with this amp? Should i consider different brands from ampeg?

I'm looking for versatily and power. It's to play in a band with no guitars and i use a lot of the sound spectrum, not just the low ends. I also love ampeg tone and would love to get an 8x10 one day!

Just give me suggestions and experiences you had with this amp and different cabinets. Thank you in advance.

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Avatar 410 NEO 4 ohm or Ampeg Classic 410HLF both sound killer with that head.

3. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I scored a great deal on an Epifani T-212 for my Ampeg SVT-3 Pro and loved it. I also ran a buddy's Peavey Pro-410 as well and it sounded good. I would dare to say that you want/need a 410 though. The Ampeg sound lends well to 10's. The 810 would sound great.

FWIW- I never had much trouble sounding loud enough for even the loudest gigs with the head. I think people that point out its too quiet are using the wrong settings and the wrong bass.

4. Connor

Connor

Jun 21, 2007
    Jawjuh
    ampeg 410 HLF, i'm looking to get one and an svt 6 pro, apparently the 6 kills the 3, never had a chance to compare though

5. Connor

Connor

Jun 21, 2007
    Jawjuh
    ps... i wouldn't suggest an 810, they apparently don't sound as good as the 410 HLF and they are a bitch to haul, you should get a 410, and eventually a 115 or 118, vary the sound

6. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    the 410HLF is a 4 ohm load. Don't expect to add another cab to that has the SVT-3 Pro is only 4ohms capable.

7. farewelltowords

farewelltowords

Jul 22, 2006
    What about 410 HE? What's the difference between HE and HLF?

8. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    HLF puts out a lot more bottom end than HE because it's ported. But the HE puts out plenty of low end for most people and it's smaller. I'm partial to Ampeg gear. The cabs are reasonably priced and sound and look great, and aside from that flirtation with that wood fiber stuff that's finally done with, they're quality.

9. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    One of my favorite bass players, is currently playing in a great local band, and he uses the 3Pro with the SVT 610HLF. His tone, with a Bartolini equiped Fender jazz, is just crazy good. Plenty of low end, great mid punch, and killer definition. My main gigging cabinet was a 610HLF for a little over a year, and it was way easier to get around than my 410 cab. I never needed much help moving it, which I can't say for my current 810E. Hope this helps! :bassist:

10. farewelltowords

farewelltowords

Jul 22, 2006
    that sounds like exactly what i'm looking for. can i hear some music of that bass player's band?

11. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    Here's a link to their myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/hookedontonics

Adam, the bass player, used his 3Pro/610HLF during the recording of their demo, and I think the tone is great. Live, it's even better. IMHO, of course. :)

12. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    It could be a nightmare with your head!

The SVT3 isn't a loud head at all, and the HE is a very inefficient (albeit great sounding) cab, and it's only rated at 8ohm.

I'd buy a very efficient 4 ohm 4x10 cab, like Eden D410XLT, Aguilar GS410, Gallien Krueger 410RBH...

13. DLEE

DLEE

May 24, 2006
    Mableton ,Ga.
    The 610 is a great cabinet for the 3.I agree with Joelb79 you must be playing crazy loud if you can't keep upwhile using one.I've found the 610 works well with a number of different heads.

14. farewelltowords

farewelltowords

Jul 22, 2006
    now the question is:

Ampeg 410 HE + Ampeg 15 E

or

Ampeg 610 HLF?

Taking in mind that i'm looking for versatily and definition above everything (since i will play with no guitar, i don't mind some low end cut, but i still want a lot of low end possibilities because... well, i love low end!)

15. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    Being a ported cab, the 610 get's plenty low, IMHO of course, but maintains great punch and definition. Also, I think it's easier to move around than the two cab combo of a 410 and 15. Again, IMHO and YMMV. :cool:

16. Brim

Brim

Nov 20, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Try an Eden D210xst (2x10 xst drivers, 500w RMS, 30hz low end). It's compact, get the 4-ohm version. I used this cab for a while with my SVT3-Pro before I sold it and replaced it with an Eden WT550. The Ampeg sounded pretty good with this cab. But definitely get the 4-ohm cab.

17. SkulliesBass

SkulliesBass Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Long Island N.Y.
    If I'm not mistaken the HE is 8 ohms.The HLE is 4 ohms and ported. Both have adjustable horns. My 1994 SVT 3 pushes 280 watts @ 8 ohms and 450 watts @ 4 ohms. I love my SVT 3, but I agree it sounds better with a 4x10 cab, than the 8x10. I never tried the 6x10.

18. I winder how the SVT3PRO would sound with the Nicest 6x10 cab on the market- Bergantino NV610. As it sounds good with the SVT810E IMHO i reckon it'd sound superb w/ the NV610!!!!!!!!!!