1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cabinet grit

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stride000, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Stride000

Stride000

Mar 15, 2006
    Hi everyone,

Have you guys had any experience with an amp/cabinet combination where the grit in the sound came from the cabinet? Not in a defective driver kind of way though.

I'm asking this because I've been testing my DB750 on different cabinets and if I base myself on the last amp I had (SVT-4 Pro) with my actual cabinets (BXT-410), it seems that the BXT's are producing a distorting kind of grit. When they're pushed, (not over their limit) it seems this grind increases while the bottom seems to decrease. I don't have this with Aguilar or Eden cabs but I didn't have this with a Fender 800 Pro amp either.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks

2. Stride000

Stride000

Mar 15, 2006
    Anyone?

3. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    Yes!, I think the grit comes from parts of the cabinet!!!

pushing cabs that are just below the power rating of an amp !!!

i find myself having gritty drivers in my ashdown combo

way more gritty than lets say a hartke

4. I think you are asking about driver distortion.

When a driver is moved beyond its linear range of motion (Xmax) it delivers increasing non-linear distortion. The cone does not exactly follow the signal, because part of the voice coil is outside the magnetic gap.

Some distortion is sweet, and some stinks. Guitar players covet various speakers because of their distortion characteristics when driven beyond Xmax. This is separate from overdriving the power tubes in their amp.

A crappy cabinet can have resonance(s) that affect the sound. This is poor build quality, and random. Flimsy construction or inadequate bracing is usually the cause. This isn't tone... it's noise.

5. Stride000

Stride000

Mar 15, 2006
    Is this something regular with Ampeg BXT-410's or have I got unlucky?

Cause if I base myself on the power handling of the cabinet (600W) and the power of the amp (750W at 4ohm), being that the pre is set at 10:30 and the master at 10:00, it shouldn't be enough to overpower the driver. Unless I don't understand power handling basics.

6. Stride000

Stride000

Mar 15, 2006
    Anyone else had the same experience with this or other cabinets?

7. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    yeah, some cabs definetly have a nice growl to them.

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I don't want cabs that "break up" like guitarists often desire - guitar cabs loaded with low-wattage vintage-style guitar speakers. I want good linearity ... playing basses with a low B/A it becomes obvious that it's tough to get tight controlled low end if the drivers are sloppy.

9. Stride000

Stride000

Mar 15, 2006
    Well it's not a nice growl. It's annoying, really annoying at playing volume.

I read some reviews on this cab on harmony central and the people who gave it good reviews used this cab with amplifiers of less than 600W (wich is the power handling of the cab). The bad reviews were given by people who used amp with power rating above that.

So it seems that these cabs are very picky regarding the amp they're matched with.

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    It's likely the drivers don't have sufficient xmax or the cab tuning doesn't match them very well for control when more is demanded of them.