Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabinet Heroes Help! (Bergie or Epi 1x12?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Dec 20, 2004.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I currently have 2 Goliath Jr. 2x10's (8 ohms each), and a single Epifani 2x10 (4 ohm).

80% of the time I only need a single cabinet, and I could get by with a 1x12. I really want a light weight cab (~40 lbs), so I'm really interested in either an Epi 1x12 or a Bergie 1x12. The AG Tri-110 is a good candidate, but it's a little more pricey. I want to stay under $600.

So my plan is to pick up this new lighter cabinet, and keep one SWR for when I need more volume. I'll sell the other two cabinets.

So the question is: What do I get? Bergie HT-112, Epi T-112, or ??? Factors: I play rock primarily, it should mate well with the SWR, I use an Ashdown ABM500. Should I be looking at selling both SWR's and picking up two bergie or epis?

Any and all comments welcome -- I know Bergie vs. Epi is a Chevy vs. Ford thing, so objective commentary is the most valuable. I've read the bassplayer review on 12's, and didn't find it particularly helpful.

2. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia
    Id say the berg, i have them and theyre awesome. The ht-112 cuts the mix very well and can get pretty loud considering its size. I have never played the epi, but their 12's seem more geared towards jazz and such, though i may be completely wrong. I am quite satisfied wtith the bergs and they do thier job extremely well.

3. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    I'd sell the other cabs and go for the HT/EX mini-stack.

The HT alone is great. Adding the EX is more than x2.

Now you've got a small gig rig and a bigger gig rig. Modular style.

4. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    One epi 12 will give you more low end, and volume than an
    swr 2x10. If you like the epi 210, why not look for a used
    210UL. The berg 12 is a great box but i'm not sure its enough
    for a stand alone box, playing rock. I think the epi 12 will
    give you more as a stand alone. I now have a 210UL and a
    12UL. Both boxes work well alone. Together they are BIG!

5. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    The dude abides... :)

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I would say sell both SWR cabs, and get two Epi's (I'd recommend the T-112/T-110UL combo) or two Bergies (I'd recommend the HT112/EX112 mini stack). Here is a link to a little "shootout" that I did with some of my cabs. It includes commentary on both the Epi and Bergie setups.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147042&referrerid=31302

7. God damn it, that's what I was going to say. Oh well... :)

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've owned both Epi and Berg 1-12s and will tell you that for rock, the Epis are the way to go, they sound deeper and fatter.

The Bergs are really tight in the low end which may have you reaching for some bass EQ and they have a very snappy upper midrange, good for slapping and upright bass but for rock (esp. with a pick) it may be too much.

I should mention that the Bergs are noticeably smaller and lighter than the Epis (unless you're looking at the UL Epis).

9. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Hmmm............

So the Bergies are "thin" sounding? The Epi's are fatter and better for rock.

10. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I don't think the Berg HT is a suitable one cab solution unless you're playing upright (that's what I've got and alone it's rarely suitable for electric, not enough low end). However, two are terrific. I haven't heard the Epifani cab but I suspect it would be fine as a standalone. If I needed a standalone small cab for rock I would DEFINITELY get a Schroeder or LDS long throw 8's cab. Will

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I would not call them thin sounding, though I agree with Wilbyman that one HT112 would not be sufficient for rock, IMHO. The Epifani cabs are definitely thicker in the low end, and for many people, I think that they would have a more suitable "rock-n-roll" tone. But, two HT112's or an HT112/EX112 stack is an excellent setup, and you can dial in a very respectable amount of low end.

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The Schroeder cabs are very loud and punchy for their size, and I would think that they would work well for rock. They are not as uncolored as EA or Accugroove, nor perhaps quite as refined as Bergantino or Epifani, but they are an innovative, compact design that really does give you a great deal of volume in a small (4 ohm) package. I have not gigged with one live, but those who have say that they cut through a mix very well, and that is exactly what I would expect after hearing them.

As for the long-throw 8" equipped cabs from Low Down Sound, these are nothing short of amazing! The amount of low end that Don gets using these drivers in small enclosures (2x8's, 3x8's, etc.) is astounding. The first 8" equipped cabs I heard were a bit shy in the upper midrange, but Don has been working on that. By using larger tweeter drivers and adjusting the crossover settings, he gained some ground, and has further improved the midrange response by using different cone/surround materials and treatments. In addition, he can throw in a midrange driver (or coax mid/tweet). I am really interested to hear a cab with two long-throw 8" woofers and a coax mid/tweet (or seperate mid and tweet).

Hope this helps, Tom.

13. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004
    How about a Bergie and an Aggie? Seems you would have it all then.

14. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Ok, not really... but I wanted to get your attention.

I revived this thread because I'm buying an Epi 112 right now and I've had a 1210 for about 2 months (I've also got an Epi 212 Custom cab but it doesn't see much use because of my size/power to gigs ratio). Let me say, I am VERY impressed with the Schroeder. Yes, I know, big surprise. . . but I was very skeptical at first. After having the cab for a while, it does cut like crazy, has a sweet high end, and is tremendously loud and clear. More aggressive than the Epi, but not in a harsh or unpleasant way, and decidedly more mid-heavy (hence the serious cut), but again, not in a "honky" way -- disclaimer: this is not a racial slur. :eek:

I've decided to buy the Epi for several reasons: while the Schroeder is light and compact for what it is (a 12, 10, and horn) it's noticeably larger than a 112 cab, and a recent gig that doesn't require tons of volume does require me to hike about a hundred yards to load in. Since the Schroeder is my smaller cabinet right now, it's becoming a bit heavy (this is a 3-4 night a week gig).

Secondly, I LOVE the Epi tone. My 212 cab is huge and sweet sounding. I love the Schroeder too, it's just different. And I think the tone (and size/output) of the Epi is going to be more than sufficient for this gig. So when it arrives and I can run a little comparison b/w them (maybe I'll run the 212 through the motions as well) I'll post them here if it'll help. Oh, and I'll either be using an Aguilar AG 500 head (Schroeder and 212 are 4 ohms, 112 is 8 so that will have a profound effect on volume in addition to the size difference), or a DB 750. I don't own a DB 750 but have been strongly considering it for a while now. . . $$$ :rollno:

15. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Not exactly an answer to your question, but I have tried the berg 112 with an aguilar 112 and get the punch from the berg and the roundness and depth from the aguilar. I don't think any single 112 will be your solution for rock

16. the dude

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Please do.

...damn, now I want to hear the Epi 12s...

17. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    This is a bit off target-but I'm taking delivery of a GK NEO112 cabinet friday. If anyone is interested in any comments about it, let me know.

18. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Heck yeah... I've been told those are supposed to be pretty spectacular. Besides, who doesn't need something else to give him GAS? :eek:

19. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    I feel your pain. . . at some point I'm probably going to have to stop reading these forums. The constant barrage of sweet gear I hear about is making me positively loopy. And GASsy. . .

20. the dude

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    I hear that, I was stumbling along just fine with 2 year old gear before I discoverd this place a couple of months ago. 60 days later? Complete rig change.

Damn TB! :ninja: