Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabinet Impedance on an Eden WT-600?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Folmeister, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    O.k., so I finally scored an Eden amp (pre USMC), and it's a WT-600. But, I noticed something odd about the suggested cabinet impedance on the speaker outputs. The individual amps are rated for 4 ohm cabinets, but the bridged output is rated for an 8 ohm cabinet? Am i just high? What happens if I hook a 4 ohm cab up to the bridged? Is there going to be flames? Smoke?

Thank you

2. Hey - congrats the WT600. I've owned / gigged one for two years and love it.

Re: the bridged rating.... don't try to run a 4 ohm cabinet in the bridged mode, as far as what will happen... the current flowing through the amplifiers will be greater than what they were designed for. Your amp will run hot and it may shutdown from thermal over temp, or you may damage electronic components inside. Not worth it.

Get an 8 ohm cabinet, or run the 4 ohm with one side.

3. Yeah, don't try it. If you're lucky the thermal protection would cut the amp out when it overheated (and it won't take too long if playing at any volume), if you're unlucky you will fry the power section.

8 ohms bridged is correct...I don't know electronics theory well enough to explain the reasons though.

4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Thank you to all who responded! You have saved me from myself. This is exactly why I love TalkBass.