1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cabinet Impedances

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Goingdownslow, May 7, 2006.

1. Anyone know what speaker impedances are used in a 6x10 cab to get 4 ohms.
    I was looking at the specs on the SWR goliath senior which is a 4ohm cab and uses 8ohm speakers, what configuration would they be wired in?
    I have an Ampeg 6x10 HLF and was wondering what speakers were used. (Only just got it and don't want to open it up yet)
    I know my previous 8x10 had eight 32ohm speakers wired in parallell to get 4 ohms, but wondered how they did it with six. Are they non-standard impedance speakers, ie, not the usual 8 or 4 ohm, or is there a wiring configuration to get this?

Cheers,
    Pete

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    6 ohms, wired in a 3 driver/2 bank parallel/series configuration is the most likely. Six 24 ohm drivers in parallel is another possibility, but not likely.

3. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I don't know, but if I had to take a guess, I'd say the left and right sides are each wired in parallel, which would give each set of speakers an impedance of 2.67 ohms, and then those banks are wired in series, giving the whole cabinet an impedance of 5.33 ohms. Not quite 6, but close enough. But other companies, Bergantino I think, among others, have been known to use 6 ohm drivers in their 6X10s to get a total impedance of 4 ohms.

4. Impedance varies wildly with frequency, so a single number is (almost) pointless.

Impedance Plot

Above is a plot taken in free air. Like a sealed box, free air has a single impedance spike as shown. Vented boxes are different.

Typically, the impedance measures the lowest around the vented box tuning frequency. It rises for both Fl and Fh resonance points (which is how you find them), then drops again. As the frequency goes higher, impedance rises again due to voice coil inductance.