Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabinet input/output wiring?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by VJP, Sep 13, 2003.

1. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    Does anyone know how these cabinets speaker input/output jacks are wired: series or parallel?

Aguiar 112 (8ohm)
    Epifani T210 (4 ohm)
    Epifani T110 (8 ohm)

I want to run in series in various configurations, but I'm not sure if this is safe.

Eden bridged mono 500/8ohm min. > Epi 110/8ohm > Epi 210/4ohm

or

Eden 8ohm min > Ag 8ohm > Epi 110/8ohm

Thanks
    Vinnie

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    If you are asking about linking two or more cabs together, that's always Parallel.

So running the 2 epi's together (one 8 ohm and one 4 ohm), that creates an overall load of 2.67 Ohms. Don't do it! Your amp can only handle a minimum of 8 and will blow. Even if your amp could handle it, the 4 ohm cab would be considerably louder than the 8 ohm.

Running the 8 ohm Agi with the 8 ohm Eden, thats a total load of 4 ohms. Once again, Don't do it! Not with that amp anyway.

I'm curious, exactly which Eden amp do you have? I'm presuming you're going to bridge it which is why we've got the 8 ohm minimum? We may be able to use the two 8 ohm cabs together by running the amp in stereo, one cab off each channel.

3. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    Thanks for the reply Petebass.

I thought linking or "daisychaining" cabs was series. Is this correct:
    Amp > cab > cab series
    cab < amp > cab parallel

The Eden is a WT500. Yes I could run stereo off each channel, but its only 250W a side @ 4 ohms. If I run each side into 8ohm cabs, isn't the power being reduced by the 8 ohm cabs?

I also thought if you linked two cabs together you doubled the ohms, ie: two 8 ohm cabs in series is now 16 ohms.

I'm confused.

4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    It doesn't matter whether you have connected one cab to each output of a mono amp or gone through the pass-through on your cab, it is parallel. That's it. Unless you have gear that is labelled "series wiring" then it is parallel.

You are talking about running your amp in bridged mono, so it will only drive one cab directly. If you want to run two cabinets in series you will have to build or buy a series-box. The box has an input and two outputs and is series wired. Completing the circuit with your cabs will provide a series setup.

If you want to see what is going on then take an Ohm-meter and check the resistance at the amp end of the cabling when you have everything hooked up. It should look like a value about 70% of the impedance. It will be immediately obvious if you have douybled or halved or otherwise reduced the total load.

5. Both of the types of connections end up with parallel wiring. Actual series connection of speakers is extremely rare and would be specifically marked as such because it is not the norm. Parallel connection of cabs reduces overall impedance following 1/R1+1/R2+....+1/Rn = 1/Rtotal. You can only run that amp in bridge mode into one 8 Ohm cab, or run it in stereo. I think that amp is like 150W per channel at 8 Ohms.
    You can rewire stuff to achieve series wiring, but it isn't worth doing, because running a higher impedance than 8 Ohms in bridge mode will only result in the amp putting out less power.

cheers!

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    If I were you this is how I'd run it:-

1/ Run the amp in stereo mode.

2/ On one side of the amp, connect the single 4 ohm Epi 2x10.

3/ On the other side, connect the 8 Ohm Agi 12", then link it to the 8 ohm Agi 10".

Each channel of the amp now has a 4 ohm load and will run at maximum watts. Each side is also pushing a total of 2 drivers so the volume should be reasonably balanced.

7. That's what I was going to say, but typing's still difficult... :D