Cabinet insulation-

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KingOfAmps, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Does your cabinet have insulation in it? I'm mostly interested in knowing about dedicated cabinets and not combo amps.

I'm especially interested in knowing if there's insulation in Boogie, SWR, and Eden 4x10, 6x10, 2x15 or 8x10 cabs.

And for those of you that might just happen to know, do g*it*r cabinet counterparts have insulation in them?
  2. Stuffing is a good idea. It makes the cabinet seem like it is slightly bigger as far as the speaker is concerned, and it helps dampen internal reflected waves. You can use Polyfil pillow stuffing from a fabric store.

3. I don't run insulation in any of my subwoofer cabinets.

Standing wave control is the reason for using a lining. 125 Hz is the highest frequency my subs see, which is a 9 foot wavelength. The cab is far too small in relation to 9 foot, so there are no standing waves.

If your cab produces high frequency notes where the wave length is equal to, or smaller than the shortest internal dimension, then a lining will help control reflections and standing waves.

There is a difference between a lining, and stuffing the cab. A lining does not alter the acoustic properties of the enclosed space, but stuffing it full will do so. For sealed boxes, a 1 pound stuffing per cubic foot of internal volume ratio will make the cabinet appear about 30% larger (acoustically) than it actually is.
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Goliath IIs do, as do Avatars, Ampeg 8x10s and Bartoogies :D

Marshall 4x12s, both Valvestate and full size 1960 cabinets have no insulation...or much else in them for that matter.
  5. Cool man. Thanks for the clarification.

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    My Ampeg SVT 115 cabinets have insulation in them.
  7. Hi KOA,
    Maybe I can finally help you with something. You have given me some really good answers, thanks.
    I have never really built or modified any of my cabs, but I did purchase some Basslinear Panels that I have not installed yet, but plan too.

NeedmoreBass is the TB'r that I got the idea from and he said it made a big improvement. Now, here comes the help part I hope. Needmore said when he first tried it he put the panels all over the inside of the cab and it didn't sound to good until he removed some and left the panels exactly were the previous insulation had been. So, there is a design method and some areas inside the cab should be left bare. Hope this helps.

Also, if you want a quick fix to any decoupling issues I recommend an Auarlex Gramma Pad. I never leave home without it.
  8. Actually, you have already:
    I read your recommendation of these in a different thread a while back and got some. Works good.
  9. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I have had some experience with the bassliner stuff. I got it for my Boogie cab inthe ported 15 compartment. I followed the directions and covered all the inner surfaces except the baffle board. I did not like it. It sounded a little wierd, like it caused what it was supposed to prevent. I yanked it all out and put back the white poly sheets. That fixed it. I guess I was trying to squeeze a lttle more, but it is as good as it gets now. As for the white pillow stuffing, I have $28. worth of it that I put in my SEALED 10s compartments in the same cab. This stuff DID NOT help. I got the same effect. Wierd.! So, I finally put some dense fiberglass insulation about 1/3 full of each compartment and it sounds killer. (I tried combinations of each with different amounts of both.) Anybody need some pillow stuffing..??