1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cabinet Jack Stand Hack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BaileyMan, Oct 5, 2017.

1. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    I'm pretty proud of my most recent hack. In true hack form. It really looks the part! We'll see how well it holds up.

The problem that needed to be solved was that I've got a 1x12 cab that I use for my smaller gigs, but with it sitting on the floor the sound projects at the ankles only. I may not always have something to set it on, like a chair or milk crate, and I wanted it to project upwards a bit.

The solution? PVC pipe, dremel, rubber end feet (that might go on a stool or something), black duct tape, and a cheapo little chain I had lying around. Sorry I don't have pics in progress, but here's the finished product.

20171005_104937.jpg 20171005_105058.jpg 20171005_105130.jpg 20171005_105008.jpg 20171005_105109.jpg 20171005_105148.jpg 20171005_105139.jpg 20171005_105224.jpg

I used a T-connector at the top and cut some notches out. I could have done a better job, but it's a hack...I also used a T-connector with a couple short pieces of straight pipe, with rubber feet attached at the bottom. I was having concerns about the stand sliding out, so I attached the chain. I used a curtain rod bolt that has a 90 degree end and screwed it in to the bottom of the cab. It's a super tiny hole and I'm not concerned about it affecting anything. It sits lower than the rubber feet on the cabinet, so it shouldn't be a problem when it's just sitting on the floor without the stand. I couldn't let the little hack stand be white, so I wrapped it black duct tape.

That's my hack!

I get to try it out Sunday at a small gig at Goorin's hat company during SF's North Beach festival.

hs123, Rich Fiscus, digmeout and 5 others like this.
  2. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    So what hold your amp head in place?
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyDo5AWPhnNnBrnQY2tcr7YwqS580PmnIDQ8j-WupQTEFRJS1WZg.jpg

BaileyMan likes this.
  3. The NSA has a job for you, hacking Kim Jong Iil.

4. Flippy

Flippy

Jun 9, 2017
    Europe
    Uh, I thought this was about some hook you use to keep your cable jacks still while putting on the bass or something.. Now I'd like to see THAT! ;) Nice job anyway!

5. BaileyMan

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    That'll be my next hack...
    Edit: problem solved...
    20171005_123832.jpg 20171005_123844.jpg 20171005_123852.jpg

I've actually been wanting to find a way to attach the head to the cab for a long time. Removed a chasis screw, attached the bracket with a light switch cover screw (perfect fit), screwed the bracket into the cab, and voila! Took 5 minutes, and seems to be a perfect fit! *patting self on back"

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Oddly, Aqualung60 and S-Bigbottom like this.
  6. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Spring Loaded Toolbox Door Cabinet Box Chest Pull Handle ___.jpg

bassfran likes this.
  7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    I bought a rubber wheel chauk for $5.00 at a local
    discount store. It has graduated indents that serve as a
    variable ramp. My head's front rubber feet hang over the front of
    the cab to prevent slipping. Class D amp.

BaileyMan likes this.
  8. BaileyMan

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    The wheel chock is a great idea too! I thought about just using the rubber feet on the amp to hang over the front, but I didn't trust it enough...

9. FenderB

FenderB Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well done. One question though, why not sand it to rough it up a little then paint it black?

10. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Ditch the duct tape, use black painted, thinner pvc pipe and you have your first product improvement. But first let ppl buy version 1.0, then roll out 2.0!!!

BaileyMan likes this.
  11. BaileyMan

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    Thought about, but required extra work and time...

Thinner, black PVC sounds great...definitely an upgrade would be great

FenderB likes this.
  12. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    man that is so hillbilly it's great :thumbsup:
    I carry two big terracotta pot feet (wrapped in duct tape too) in my gear bag for basically the same purpose. :laugh: They have lions heads on the front of them, so I when I use them, there are two small lion heads peeking out of the base of my cab. funny.

those are some mighty heavy duty angle brackets to keep that lightweight head on your amp. Are you possibly expecting an earthquake ? ;)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  13. BaileyMan

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    That's pretty bad a$$. How 'bout some pics of those Lions?

Re: those angle brackets, I do live in San Francisco. ;)