Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabinet just died? What could be wrong?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Philthy, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    So, I'm jamming with my band....using my friends rig, so I kinda feel bad about this....and all of a sudden, the sound just cuts out. I was using 4x10 cab and it just died. No sound at all. I switch basses, check my batteries and cables and nothing. Then I decided to switch cabinets and full sound. So, I know it's not the basses or the head. Any idea what the problem might be that would make all 4 speakers just die like that?

Thanks for your help.

2. A 4x10 is typically wired in series/parallel, to get the correct impedance.

I think a wire came loose inside. Nothing more. Look at the input jack, and probably one wire is off there, resulting in the entire cabinet being dead.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I agree with Bruce...if it didn't come off at the jack, it probably came off at the speaker end of the wiring.

Many cabinet manufacturers use quick-connect terminals (fastons) to make cabinet wiring go faster. Gosh awful type of connector for something that vibrates...

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    What brand of 4x10 is it?

5. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    another thing to check, just to be sure...
    Switch cabs again and try your "dead" cab one more time.
    Many amps these days have thermal protection circuits that shut
    the amp down when it runs too hot. Of course I have no idea if yours does.
    It is *possible* (maybe not likely) that you triggered the thermal protection, and it just happened to cool down around the time you switched cabinets.
    Worth checking just to be sure.