Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabinet Maintenance?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LeonD, Mar 22, 2005.

1. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I've been playing the same bass, amp and cabinet for the last 12 years. This year I added a new bass and it's given me reason to examine my amp and cabinet. More specifically, the cabinet.

It's an SWR Goliath II Jr. It's served me well and has never left me stranded. I was wondering if there is any type of maintenance I should be doing to the speakers? Do they get tired as they age? Should they be reconed periodically? Or, just leave them alone till they fail?

Regarding the tweeter, it seems like the longer I use the cabinet, the less I like the tweeter. When new, it was almost always all the way on. As the years have gone by, I've been turning it down more and more. And with my new bass, I turn it all the way off (granted, my old and new bass are very different: Stingray w/ flats vs. MTD 635). Does the tweeter or crossover change with age? Should either or both be periodically be replaced?

Any other maintenance tips?

Thanks,
    LeonD

2. Just keep it dusted off, feed it, get it laid once in a while and it'll be happy. I have an EV 2x15 with 20+ year old drivers that's still kicking like a mule.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My cabinet maintenance tip:

When you spill beer on it, be sure to PROMPTLY suck it up through a straw . . . :smug:

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    If it aint broke, there's nothin' to fix!! I have noticed that some of my....uh....friend's cabinets do start to get a little "soft" in their old age. I sounds like you got, and are still getting your money's worth!!

5. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I usually chack the screws every few months on mine and tighten them up to prevent any air leaks.

My 1x15 had some very loose screws because the bass shook them loose :)

6. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Back in the old days a roadie I worked with used to pull out the 15 and 18 drivers and spin them 180 degrees. He rotated them about every six months. He said it had something to do with the weight of the speaker cone and voice coil hanging down in one position all the time. Uneven wear or binding or something like that. I thought at the time he was pulling my leg but I didn't say anything because he always kept a fifth of whiskey in his tool box. That came in real handy out on the road because, believe it or not, there are some places in this country where the liquor stores aren't open on Sunday night. :eyebrow:

7. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I'd like to officially invite you and your roadie, if he's still alive, to my next Birthday Party! Man, I don't even rotate my tires, much less my drivers. That's a great story, and next time I'm late to a gig or practice, I'm gonna use that as an excuse.

8. Well the dirty little secret is that he also kept a fifth of whiskey hid in the speaker cab. :D