Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabinet Matching Problems???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RAM, Aug 10, 2003.

1. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've been going back and forth on adding a 2nd cab to my rig. I have an EBS Fafner and an EBS 4x10, so I'm sure I'm staying with EBS, if I get another cab.

Anyway, I was originally thinking about adding a 2x12, with the expectation I can coax "throatier" lows out of the rig, while working the head a bit harder. However, someone mentioned to me that I'm better off getting another 4x10 because it'll match with my current 4x10 better.

The other alternative is that I go with the full 15" cab, though I'm generally not a huge fan of 15's...

The ultimate downside is that I can't a/b the two different setups.

Any thoughts?

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    bump...

Anyone?

3. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I have a td650 and I played a ebs 210 and 212 together. It sounded great. I went with bergantino cabs cos I like the sound better. I wouldnt hesitate recomending the ebs 212. Its a great cab! It was a good combo of being tight and low with a 5 string. Hope this helped.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    hmmm, I don't buy anything unless I've heard it. Read my sig........

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah...generally speaking, me too. But, what do you do when you're in my situation?

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    In order, I trusy my ears, then my gut instinct. Other peoples opinions are a distant third........... your gut instinct was for a 2x12 so if i were in your situation, that's what I'd get. From your description i think it will serve your purpose well.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think that makes the most sense.

For the record, while I'm obviously contemplating a cab that I've never heard, I can at least say I'm very familiar with EBS' "sound". As I understand the philosophy behind EBS' sound, I believe that another EBS cab is what I'm looking for. But, when investigating a 2x12, I was told by someone that there is a "matching problem". I didn't know if he was blowing smoke or if he was on to something.

There's another thread going on right now where several TB'ers play 2x10 plus 2x12 combinations, and they seem very happy. That might just lead me to the answer to my question.

Thanks again!