1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cabinet matching

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GATTPBP, May 4, 2010.

1. Hi guys, this is my first post. Looks like a good forum, wish I had found it earlier.

We're playing some gigs this summer at a boat dock (outside with cover) and I think I may need to augment my 18" Bagend cabinet (8 ohms). I have 2 heads, a Trace Elliot AH500 and an Ampeg SVT 3 Pro. I also have an American made Ampeg 2 x 10" cab at 4 ohms. They sound pretty good together, but the 8 ohm BagEnd at 8 ohms sometimes reaches its limits, my feeling is I need to add another 8 ohm cabinet and run them at 4 ohms, and move more air. Considering another BagEnd cab, an Ampeg SVT-410HE, and a Genz-Benz GB410T.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

2. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Havnt used any one of those Cabs... But i am a Big fan of the SWR Goliath 410's... I amd sure i most likely Drive people Nuts on here cause there are only two things i seam to like GK Heads and SWR cabs... But hey thats how i roll and i love Them!!

3. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    I'm a big fan of boat docks outside with cover... So between Mr. O'Canada and me you're covered.

Seriously, the SVT3 is not a massive powerhouse. Good head just not a big gun. Pick a good quality 4 OHM 410 Cab and call it a day. It will then make enough power to whomp that 4 ohm cab and make good music for your outdoor gig. You start hanging too many cabs with too many speakers and your 450w head won't be able to power them.

The "standard" cab with the SVT3 seems to be the SVT-410HLF. It will do the same thing that Bag end cab will do plus it will put out a lot more DB than the 410HE cab will do at a lot less power required.

BOB

4. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    LOL I like that Mr.O'Canada...Never been called that before.... BUt i will take it!:smug: I agree with Mr.RBonner 100%....If you are going to get a only one Cab Make it at lest a 4 ohm 410....or maybe even a 610.... I know there a several brands out there that make good Cabs...I myself am not a huge fan of Ampeg.. i dont go for the old school sound as much.. But hey thats me. i Know mesa,GK,SWR to name a few Make some great 410 cab... If you like the hifi sound Check them out!....Now if you do intend to upgrade your system and get a bigger head or want the option of adding other cabs to make whatever crazy combo setup you may want to try...then i would stick with a 8 ohm cab...it just gives you a lot more options when it comes to different cab setups!!. Best Of Luck hope you find the setup of your dreams... I know i have,now i am just trying to find ways to get the setup of Others Nightmares...lol:p:D I am still working on that :) Cheers Mate~Elliot

5. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    I figured you might *EH?

I live close enough to the border.

When I'm down south visiting in Florida I get people saying I sound like those guys in the movie Fargo... Thems fighten words, That's "Ranger Speak". From the Iron Range in Minnesota.... Nothing worse than a really hot chick who talks like that.... Plus my Darth Vader hat straightens everything out.

Anyway. Wonder if Gatt is ready to run yet?

6. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    yea, you definantely want to match 2 8 ohm loads to a 4 ohm head. being that you have a 118, i would suggest maybe a 210 to give you full range.

7. Hey thanks for the good advice guys! Intersting nobody commented on the Trace Elliot head or the Genz-Benz cabinet. I like the SVT3 better as a head, BTW, as far as sound. The TE is easier to see and operate-bigger knobs, more feedback when you turn it on. I dont like the rear mounted power switch though.

What do you think of linking the two amps together with a mic cable (DI out) and using both heads?

8. Come on! It's just Smith Mountain Lake, for chist sakes! You will bounce sound off the water anyway, and people in Franklin County will complain! Just the 18, or any of your cabs will work fine, alone. But if you NEED it (want it), I love Bag End cabs. They are the best low-priced equipment available. But it's YOUR ears we're talking, here. Get what you love, and do like the rest of us. Spend time (maybe years) seeking, and compromise when you get tired of it. The audience doesn't care, other musicians are self-absorbed, so make yourself happy. The difference is minimal.

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    is it the huge 18" cab or the little cube? If it was me i'd consider getting a crossover and finding one of the older rectangular ta-12 pa cabs and making myself a two piece AF-1. :D

10. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    didn't want to start a new thread for this

the situation: have two separate 8ohm 350 watt 1x15 cerwin vega cabs
    (my friend who has no money and loves punk rock wants to play his 4 string 200 dollar ibanez bass through them)

the question: what is the cheapest head (bass or PA) that we can use for these cabs

please explain: the ohm rating and wattage requirements

thank you