Cabinet Opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HolbieBaker, Feb 24, 2002.

1. HolbieBaker

Feb 21, 2002
    Dickinson, ND
    One simple question, but very important. Taking price, quality, durability, and everything else into acccount, I would like as many opinions as possible on Cabinets.

Ampeg, Crate, SWR, Hartke, Carvin, Peavy, Marshall, or Fender. Or maybe any other brands you are partial to.

I know it is about personal preference, but I am not sure as to what to buy, and many opinions would help.

I have a Marshall Bass Head but don't know what cabinet or cabinets to buy. It is a 4 ohm 200 watt amp. If it helps at all I am in a band that plays emo (Jimmy Eat World, Propaghandi, if you've heard of 'em.)
  2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I think that you're going to need more power unless your talking about pushing one 210.
  3. Well I have played through some SWR and Eden in the stores and havent found the tone that i am getting froma carvin RL1-18 and a Genz-Benz XB2-10. It may be because I am biamping and the RL1-18 loves the low frequencies when thats all it is getting and the 2-10 loves the highs. But i got pretty nice tones from both on thier own as well. I Have also played through some peavey 4-10 cabs that were really nice definately worth checking out.
  4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm another Genz Benz alumnus. The Peavey cabs that I tried were also very nice but the Genz Benz just had more of the tone that I wanted for a very similar price to Peavey. At least through the sources that I've been in contact with I can get Genz Benz at a similar price to Peavey. Those would be my two choices but they may not be yours. As I said earlier, I think that your amp is going to be under powered depending on what cab you decide to go with.
  5. Yeah 200 watts wont give you a whole lot of head room. Are you planning on getting a cab then later upgrading the amp? I found that 350 watts werent enough to hang in my band so i added a Genz Benz 2-10 on top of my 18 to give me 700 watts. Now i have no trouble and con really tweak my tone because i hav plenty of headroom. If you want to look for inexpensive amps that can really kick to add on i would recommend a used hartke HA 7000. I got mine on closeout from a former hartke dealer. It was a demo for $100 US. It gives me everything i ever wanted out of an amp.