1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cabinet Opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HolbieBaker, Feb 24, 2002.

1. HolbieBaker

HolbieBaker

Feb 21, 2002
    Dickinson, ND
    One simple question, but very important. Taking price, quality, durability, and everything else into acccount, I would like as many opinions as possible on Cabinets.

Ampeg, Crate, SWR, Hartke, Carvin, Peavy, Marshall, or Fender. Or maybe any other brands you are partial to.

I know it is about personal preference, but I am not sure as to what to buy, and many opinions would help.

I have a Marshall Bass Head but don't know what cabinet or cabinets to buy. It is a 4 ohm 200 watt amp. If it helps at all I am in a band that plays emo (Jimmy Eat World, Propaghandi, if you've heard of 'em.)

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    I think that you're going to need more power unless your talking about pushing one 210.

3. Well I have played through some SWR and Eden in the stores and havent found the tone that i am getting froma carvin RL1-18 and a Genz-Benz XB2-10. It may be because I am biamping and the RL1-18 loves the low frequencies when thats all it is getting and the 2-10 loves the highs. But i got pretty nice tones from both on thier own as well. I Have also played through some peavey 4-10 cabs that were really nice definately worth checking out.

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    I'm another Genz Benz alumnus. The Peavey cabs that I tried were also very nice but the Genz Benz just had more of the tone that I wanted for a very similar price to Peavey. At least through the sources that I've been in contact with I can get Genz Benz at a similar price to Peavey. Those would be my two choices but they may not be yours. As I said earlier, I think that your amp is going to be under powered depending on what cab you decide to go with.

5. Yeah 200 watts wont give you a whole lot of head room. Are you planning on getting a cab then later upgrading the amp? I found that 350 watts werent enough to hang in my band so i added a Genz Benz 2-10 on top of my 18 to give me 700 watts. Now i have no trouble and con really tweak my tone because i hav plenty of headroom. If you want to look for inexpensive amps that can really kick to add on i would recommend a used hartke HA 7000. I got mine on closeout from a former hartke dealer. It was a demo for $100 US. It gives me everything i ever wanted out of an amp.