Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabinet options: 1x15 + 2x10, or two 2x10s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Oct 3, 2005.

1. My apologies if this has been covered before but I couldn't find anything on it.

Scenario: I currently have two speaker cabinets, one with a 15" speaker and the other with 2 10" speakers. I'm thinking of having a better enclosure made for the 15", however a friend of mine will sell me his SWR 2X10 cab (speakers included) for less $$$ than it will cost to have the new cab built.

Question: Will having the 1x15 and 2x10 setup give me a broader frequency range than the two 2x10s? In other words, punch from the 10s plus deeper bass tones from the 15?
    Or will 4 10" speakers do the job as well?

Other facts: My amp setup is a preamp and a 2 channel power amp with 200 watts per channel. I play both 4 string and 5 string basses. I play fingerstyle, with a pick, and also slap. I really like the punch, clarity and definition from the 10" speakers.

Thanks for any advice.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Probably.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    My vote would be for 1x15 +2x10. Probably just a little louder overall too. Nice setup and shouldnt be ridiculously heavy either.

4. 115 and 210 IMO - I tried 2 210s didn't work for me...