1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cabinet panel bracing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wave rider, Jul 12, 2008.

1. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    I've seen mentioned speaker cabinet bracing that uses a 2"by2" with wooden wedge to make the fit have tension to brace opposing panels of the cabinet. This "bracing under tension" was said to allow the use of lighter materials and also change the resonant frequency of the cabinet.

Does this tensioning have to be accomplished by pushing the cabinet panels apart or would a couple of eyebolts with steel cable or threaded rod between them pulling the panels together (to create the tensioning) work the same way?

Just a thought...

=wr=

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The best way to brace is to connect opposing panels. Even 1/2" dowels are adequate, it's their spacing that determines how effective they are, not their dimension.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Shelf bracing from 1x4 should be stiffer than 2x2, and could use leftover plywood.

4. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Thanks for your reply.

It could have been 1x1, my memory is a bit lacking on that detail. My wondering was about whether the panels needed to be tension "pushing out" or would "pulling in" work as well?

=wr=

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Either would work equally well, though it takes a lot of pre-tension to do much good and is probably more trouble than it's worth.

6. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Thanks, good to know. I've got an old SWR Bassic Black with an annoying rattle that I've been meaning to brace and have been thinking about all my options.

=wr=

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021