1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cabinet Placement Acoustics

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Luis Fabara, Feb 5, 2001.

1. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I wanna make a call on everyone that has had a positive or negative experience on where to place your cabinets.

I have been using my SVT410HE at Ear-level by putting it over a table in my room for the last 3 months.
    This lowered the bass response and added some upper mids sensibility (Due to the Ear-Level)

Now, because I had to remove the table, I put the cab on the floor, againts a wall, and WHOOMP, the APPARENT Bass Response increased a LOT without using any EQ or turning up the volume.

I know why it is. Is the sound reflexing surfaces under and behind the cab that makes the Direct/Reflected sound bigger.

Any experiences on this?

2. I set my amp on a chair, many hi-fi purist use speaker stands to break the coupling with the floor. If you like heavy juke box bass setting it on the floor works. Putting the cab in the corner increases this effect. I like a strong midrange presence so I set my amp off the floor and away from the wall if possible.

3. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    That's your cabinent coupling with the floor. You'll notice a huge difference in cabs that have bottom mounted ports (such as Eden) between the on/off floor sounds. In my experience, that's where the biggest change occurs. If you cab doesn't have a bottom mounted port, then the change will still be there but won't be as obvious.

4. That's called boundary loading. Low frequencies are effectively omnidirectional, so when you put your cab up on a table it pretty much acts like it's radiating sound into free space: The low end goes in all directions. When you put it on the floor it can only radiate sound in half the space it could when it was on a table, the sound waves that would have gone off into the space below the cabinet now bounce off the floor and (mostly) add to the sound going in the other directions. This is called 1/2 space loading. Put the cab on the floor and against a wall and you have 1/4 space loading...more bottom end again! This effect is extremely pronounced with rear ported cabinets! Putting it in a corner gives 1/8 space loading: mega-bottom end! These effects are great if you want to add low end to a small rig! I use boundary loading, if I'm running a smallish PA that doesn't have much woomph, to get more bottom end. I'll put the subs in a corner and automatically get a bunch more low end without destroying speakers.....well most of the time I don't destroy speakers...heheheh:D

5. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    THREAD RESURRECTION!!!!!!

Mwhahahaha! :ninja:

I've been thinking about something today. I remember waaaay back when I first started playing my rig consisted of an Ibanez SR400 and Crate BX50. I couldn't get a bass like sound out of it in my small, cramped, cell-like room. It was either too muddy or too tinny and weak. I couldn't find the middle ground. Then I took it a friends house for the first time and set it up in their large jam space (carpeted floor, padded soundproof walls). With minimal eq tweaks it sounded like butter. I don't just mean it sounded better, it sounded like a completely different amp :eek: ! I was blown away.

Now I have my GK rig. Unfortunately it is stuck in a corner next to some large windows as that is the only place I have for it seeing as my parents for no reason other than they could turned MY room into their unoffical junk storage room. It's stacked to the ceiling with worthless crap. I wrestle with my rig's EQ everyday always combatting muddiness and tinniness. Just when I think I've got it licked I come back the next day and it sounds like garbage :( .

I'm gonna try some experiments. I'm gonna try it in my kitchen and then outside. I'll let you guys know what happens.

BTW, I read in another post about how sound bouncing off glass can be very harsh. Do you think this is a major factor in my rig's perceived harshness?

6. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    bump :bag: