Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabinet projection, what is it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Is cabinet projection about how far a decent bass thickness is heard from the cab? or is it what size room can your cab or number of cabs support?

here is my situation, I play in a room that is about 30x60ft with false ceiling and concrete floors. my aguilar gs-112 with SWR 350/RBI rack sounds pretty thick up to about 10-15ft away, then it thins out quite a bit except near other walls where I'd expect it to thicken up. I also tried the Carvin 600w 15x208 combo that the church has on hand. it was of coarse thicker more evenly across the room.

I'm going to get another gs-112 on thursday and think this will help quite a bit. I have no real illusions that I'll carry the room, but I was suprised with the thinness of the sound. Its incredibly heavy nearby the cab, thinner about 10-15ft out? there are pockets of o.k. bass, but definitely thinner and especially not loud.

or is some of my loss attributable to position of cab? its about 20feet from the corner on the 60ft wall.

2. Welcome to the world of small speakers.
    If you stack your current and soon-to-be cabs, you'll project a little better, especially if you experiment with placement in the room, but even with two 12" you won't get a powerful boom to fill the room.
    As advanced as speaker/cabinet technology has become, it can't overcome simple physics: small speakers in a front-loaded enclosure cannot fill a room with low end.
    Unless you want to biamp through a folded-horn box of managable size, you're probably stuck.
    KFS

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'll call my post, "Welcome to the 70's" because that's when this whole thing about bass projection got crazy, IME.

I had two amps in the 70's - a Fender 400 PS (3 cabs with an 18" in each) and an EMC B450, (3-15" in a reverse W enclosure with 30 ft. of folded horn).
    It was all about "the point of sonic convergence". In other words, you couldn't hear squat or had any idea of just how loud you were until you got about 18 ft. away from the enclosure(s). But the reason was that PA's couldn't handle it all back then and your cabs were mainly responsible for filling concert halls.

Today's designs take into account the fact that if you can't fill the room, you'll DI out. You might try your cabs in a corner where the walls will act as a bass reflex. I've had good experience doing that in rehearsals just using an Eden 2x10" up against a cranked Marshall 4x12".