Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabinet question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StarchMan, Apr 27, 2004.

1. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    I have an Ampeg V4BH head and a Classic 115E cab. I am going to buy a Classic 410HE cab tomorrow.
    In total that is 700 Watts RMS at 4 Ohm. Is that really badly underpowering the speakers? Would that do damage?

2. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    Actually with a tube amp underpowering isn't really bad. The power tube grunt is usually what people are looking for when they buy a V4B. Power tubes clip differently than a solid state amp will, the sound is harmonic and warm, instead of buzzy and harsh like solid state. I don't think that it'll really do any damage.

I'm sure some of the electronic engineers can explain this better than I.

3. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    There's no real harm in underpowering the speakers, unless it puts too much stress on the amp trying to achieve enough volume. Since the V4 is a tube amp, it should be just fine, as it can handle being driven into clipping. I may be wrong, but it seems the only problem you might have is that your rig won't be loud enough for your needs. Make sure you match the impedances of the cabs and check that the amp can handle that.

I hope some others will offer some advice.
    :bassist:

4. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    the head can handle 8ohm and 4ohm loads. Both cabs are 8ohms, so that makes it 4ohms.
    That seems fine then now right?

5. godspeed68

godspeed68 i like music. a lot.

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    explain the idea of underpowering your speakers as it pertains to damaging your amplifier for me please??????? If it is what I perceive it to be......my mesa m-pulse 600 (600w @ 4) could risk damage when running into a bergentino 610 that handles 750 @ 4?????? electrical newbie here, haha. thanks guys.

tOm(ass)

6. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    StarchMan- 4 Ohms should be just fine. Enjoy your rig. :)

godspeed68-
    You'll find a lot of info if you search for "underpowering". (I'm not an expert by any means, but...) Basically, when you try to make an amp put out more power than it actually can, it's called clipping. I'm not sure what really happens inside the amp, but with a SS amp, clipping can cause damage to the speakers. You'd definitely notice the sound it makes (someone described it as a buzzsaw ripping through your speakers.) It would be obvious that the speaker shouldn't be making that noise. Tube amps don't freak out when driven into clipping, and as it was said, some people like the tone of a tube amp at it's limits. I'm one of those people.
    As for matching a 600W SS amp with a 750W cab, that's just fine, as long as you can get the volume you need with the power the amp can provide.

Again, there are people here who can be a lot more technical than me, but I hope this helps.
    :bassist:

7. Well said. Starch, you should be good to go man! Let us know how it sounds when you put the ohms to it!