Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabinet Question!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ceycey, Apr 7, 2005.

1. ceycey

ceycey

Dec 22, 2004
    Turkey
    I have bought an Ampeg SVT3-Pro head and an Ampeg BXT210M cabinet 1 week ago. This is my first time using a head-cabinet rig. I realized that there is a light appears in the cabinet when i slap in high volumes (especially when i pull the D and G strings). This light is visible from the front-ports. I guess it's all about the resistors light in the titanium tweeter because the light is more bright in that part of the cabinet. Does anyone knows what it is?

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    That is from the light bulbs used as power limiters for the high frequency horn.

(Silly response to misread model number deleted here)

3. ceycey

ceycey

Dec 22, 2004
    Turkey
    Thank you. It always reminds me the 400w when fell the air coming from back :)
    I don't know what the mono bridge is and how to make it. Does it occur when i chain another cabinet?

By the way it has a great tone and very usable in small gigs even if it's too heavy and has a bad shape to carry.

4. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Umm... I may be wrong here, so correct me if I am, but doesn't the SVT-3Pro have an RMS power output of 275w @ 8ohms, and RMS power output of 450w @ 4ohms? I think you may have misread (or he may have miswritten) the thing for the SVT-4Pro.

:eyebrow:

The light bulb thing is right though. Not sure why an SVT-3Pro (if it is an SVT-3Pro) would make that cabinet light up like that, even at full volume. Maybe get it checked? Just a thought...

-T

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Dang....you are absolutely correct, I DID misread for 4PRO....he said 3PRo, right there in front of my nose.....sorry.

In that case, it may be the effect of high peaks, with or without some clipping. The 3PRO has no limiter on the power amp.

Clipping or other distortion, possibly from running tube drive at a lower setting, creates harmonics. Those are higher frequencies, and may fall in the range of the horn. If the total power sent to the horn is close to its rating, the protector may come on.

Makes sense that it would occur with slapping, that is a high peak signal anyhow, and has also more highs to start with.

In any case its the horn protector.

6. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    No prob. 1 insignificant accidental slip up among 999999 super useful things you've given advice on is a great record I'd say (as opposed to my opposite 999999:1 ratio haha). Thanks btw for your help when I had my SVT-4Pro. I learned a lot!

Now to rejoin the Ampeg family when I can find an affordable SVP-CL or SVP-BSP preamp hehe. Like that'll ever happen...*sigh* :(

-T