Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cabinet question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dabber, Jan 3, 2002.

1. dabber

dabber

Jan 22, 2001
    Florida
    Hi all. Longtime browser, sometime typer...
    O.K. Here's the situation. I have a Peavey Mark III head that I've been playing thru a Crate practice amp and a pair of cheap powered portable cd monitors. This setup actually has worked for about 2 years now, amazingly. Unfortunately, the Crate finally said "enough". I now need a speaker cabinet. Here are my specs/gear/requirments...

Peavey Mark III XPSeries 300Series CHS head
    2 parallel jacks with min amp load 4 ohms
    150 watts 23 VRMS(huh?)
    by the powercord (into housing) it says 500watts
    Five string(low B) fretless
    Four string fretted
    Guitar(oh stop booing)

around $100

I don't play out. I need something strictly for home practice with the occasional "wife out shopping" volume increase.

My thoughts:
    Can I buy a cheap(Nady?@musiciansfriend)PA cabinet to do the trick. I'm tempted by the $99 12"@400w on sale with a stand. Could that give me a decent sound? I like the option of jamming with a friend thru the same speaker(2 inputs on head). I went to M**s and S** A** but the best deal I could find was $119(haggle price) on a Soundcraft(?) 12"@150watts I believe. I know the popular and logical answer would be save up, but this is x-mas money from in-laws that WILL be spent on the house if I don't spend it soon. I was going to buy tools for the house but my speaker blew after x-mas so my wife said I could get a cheap cab for now, so I can at least play. All other money is way too tight so I need a cheap option.

Or, should I use the cash and try to sell the head and get a small combo?
    Any opinions would be welcomed. And please, I know all intentions are good but I can't save up and get "x" for $400 or so..
    Thanks.

2. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i'm not sure a 12" PA cab would have the bottom end you'd want, but it would work. you could check ebay and see what turns up...the cheapest bass cabs i can think of (besides stumbling on a deal somewhere) are the hartke transporter 210 or a gallien krueger backline 210...probably talking about 250-ish.

3. dabber

dabber

Jan 22, 2001
    Florida
    thanks.

After I posted I called Musicians Friend and got a shipping quote...$30. I did call alot of pawn shops but no cabinets for bass or pa, I thought that was odd... If I go with the Nady, I'm looking at $130 for a 12" 400watt with stand. I don't think that's too bad. I know it won't be great quality, I just want something to play thru that wont blow up.