Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabinet question?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alnerd, Feb 16, 2002.

1. alnerd

alnerd

Feb 16, 2002
    Zanesville, OH
    What does this mean?

350 Watts RMS continuous
    700 Watts RMS program

Thanks.

2. A little problem here. You can't have RMS program in reality.

PA Speakers get rated usually with three power ratings: RMS, program, and peak. RMS is the continuous, un-distorted, no clipping power rating. Program is usually twice the RMS rating and is a rating provided to indicate what the speaker can handle under most normal situations it will see. Peak is a rating as to the max power that a speaker can handle, and it's usually for a very short period and it can vary with frequency. From all I can read, you can usually buy PA speakers matching the program power to your amps.

Musical instrument speakers are usually rated in RMS only. That is the most important figure for bassists, guitarists, etc. You should, again from I read, match your amps to the RMS rating of the musical instrument cabinet.

Hope this helps. Maybe some speaker experts with more knowledge than I can chime in here.

3. alnerd

alnerd

Feb 16, 2002
    Zanesville, OH
    So to match with this cabinet I should be looking for a head that can handle 350 watts?

4. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Check out http://www.live-audio.com/studyhall/watts.html The author recommends that the amplifier power be twice the speaker RMS rating, plus or minus about 20-25%. For a 350W speaker, that's 700W of amp power plus or minus 140 to 175W.

5. Which is precisely what I said.