1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cabinet Question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassn00b11, Mar 10, 2008.

1. bassn00b11

bassn00b11

Feb 7, 2008
    Having not played through a GB NEOX-212T, I was wondering if it could keep up with an Ampeg SVT-810E. I know the 810 has much more surface area and can handle more wattage, but each of the GB speakers can handle WAY more than one of the 810 (100 versus 300 watts) and the sensitivity level on the GB is rated higher than the 810...so now I am totally confused...

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone on here ran those two cabs head to head and what the difference in volume, tone and overall thump was. Sorry if this is a stupid question or has been gone over before.

2. I have not played the GB. But a couple things to consider:
    1) The rated amount of power that a speaker can handle has little to do with how loud it will ultimately be.

2) Even though the GB is more sensitive, that just means, IMHO, that it will take less amp power to get to "it's" volume.

I think the Ampeg will be louder feeling in general, ie, it will you give you that pants flapping push that 8 speakers versus 2 speakers is bound to give you.

That's not to say the GB won't be loud. It's really a matter of amp, EQ, room, playing style, etc.

3. bassn00b11

bassn00b11

Feb 7, 2008
    No other comments?

I guess the meat of my question is how does the GB NEOX-212T compare with an Ampeg SVT-810E, of there is no comparison and the 810 simply blows it out of the water that's fine, I just was curious.

Based on wattage ratings and sensitivity levels the two cabs would appear to generate a similar amount of volume, but the SPL coming from the 810 appears to be way higher. Just wondering if anyone has A/B'd them and could describe the differences.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The wattage rating is for all intents and purposes moot. What defines the maximum output capability is the total driver displacement. One twelve won't have more displacement than four tens.

5. well the 8x10 is louder.... and the 8x10 is a sick cab.. but in general i would prefer the sound of 12's...

6. bassn00b11

bassn00b11

Feb 7, 2008
    Ok that's what I thought.

Basically I decided that in order to get the push that I need I will need at least a 212 and a 410, possibly even 3 12's or 212 and 1 15 w/ the 410. This way the rig setup is completely modular and can adapt to whatever environment I need. I love the old 810's but they really are not adjustable enough, and one 212 while nice just won't cut it for everything.

Bottom line I am going to start slowly building. I have a 410 now, going to add a single 12. I was debating between trading the 410 up to an 810, or swapping the 410 for a 212, but decided ultimately the best thing to do is add the 12 and see how that works.

More information if you are curious - I have an older Hartke 410XL, it's the 260 Watt model not the newer 400 watt model. I will be pairing this with the GB NEOX-112T running into the GB Shuttle 6.0. This gives me a 4 ohm 560 watt load off of that amp. Eventually I want to get a GBE 1200 and when I do that I am thinking of adding the NEOX-212T (or some other configuration of 212's) for a 2 ohm 1160 watt load. I think that speaker configuration will crush an 810E, plus I will be able to pare it down with the Shuttle for smaller gigs.

As a side question, anyone know what the back connections on the NEOX-112T are? I know that it has 1/4 and Speakon inputs, but are there any outputs to extend that cab?