cabinet questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LizardKing, Jan 15, 2006.

1. LizardKing

Jan 15, 2006
    Ok, I just got a Ampeg SVT4PRO bass head last week, at my jam space we have a 400 watt peavey bass cab but my Ampeg head seems far to powerful to play through it. and I am looking to purchase a new cabinet for it but i was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions, i was lookin at the Ampeg 8x10 stack but i heard the 6x10 is actually better with this type of head, anyone got any experience with this situation? would really be apreciated. :help:
  2. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I'd take the 810 over the 610 any day. Having followed Ampeg for a while, the 610 is not one of the favorite cabs out there. Some have good luck w/ them, but to get the 6 speakers to 4 ohm they had to wire them weird. I've heard of problems w/ the to middle speakers, and others say it's the bottom ones, but like I said some have no problems at all.
    Every seems to like their 810.
    Other Mfgs. 610 are usually 6 ohm.
  3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    which 810 are you thinking of...

SVT-810HPC 205 Lbs?
    SVT-810E 165 Lbs?
    SVT-810AV 165 Lbs?

:help: can you help me carry my cab up the stairs? :D
  4. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Be a man, go for the HPC.:smug:
  5. LizardKing

Jan 15, 2006
    Yea, i Would love to get the SVT-810HPC but i am also not made of money, i work 2 jobs as it is and don't need a third one, haha
  6. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I would get some type of Mesa/Boogie cab with it. I was an SVT-4 owner for a few years and used it with an Ampeg 2x15 cab and an Ampeg 4x10 cab. However, my SVT-4 never sounded better than when I plugged into Mesa cabinets. Mesa cabs are a bit punchier, clearer, and more hi-fi than Ampeg cabs. I guess it depends on what sound suits your music.