1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

cabinet questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LizardKing, Jan 15, 2006.

1. LizardKing

LizardKing

Jan 15, 2006
    Ok, I just got a Ampeg SVT4PRO bass head last week, at my jam space we have a 400 watt peavey bass cab but my Ampeg head seems far to powerful to play through it. and I am looking to purchase a new cabinet for it but i was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions, i was lookin at the Ampeg 8x10 stack but i heard the 6x10 is actually better with this type of head, anyone got any experience with this situation?...it would really be apreciated. :help:

2. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I'd take the 810 over the 610 any day. Having followed Ampeg for a while, the 610 is not one of the favorite cabs out there. Some have good luck w/ them, but to get the 6 speakers to 4 ohm they had to wire them weird. I've heard of problems w/ the to middle speakers, and others say it's the bottom ones, but like I said some have no problems at all.
    Every seems to like their 810.
    Other Mfgs. 610 are usually 6 ohm.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    which 810 are you thinking of...

SVT-810HPC 205 Lbs?
    SVT-810E 165 Lbs?
    SVT-810AV 165 Lbs?

:help: can you help me carry my cab up the stairs? :D

4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Be a man, go for the HPC.:smug:

5. LizardKing

LizardKing

Jan 15, 2006
    Yea, i Would love to get the SVT-810HPC but i am also not made of money, i work 2 jobs as it is and don't need a third one, haha

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I would get some type of Mesa/Boogie cab with it. I was an SVT-4 owner for a few years and used it with an Ampeg 2x15 cab and an Ampeg 4x10 cab. However, my SVT-4 never sounded better than when I plugged into Mesa cabinets. Mesa cabs are a bit punchier, clearer, and more hi-fi than Ampeg cabs. I guess it depends on what sound suits your music.