Cabinet Recommendations please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iriegnome, Oct 9, 2016.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Need a cabinet. Probably a single speaker. 10 or 12. Not sure of the amp, but the amp will be minimum of 300w. I think I will need at least the speaker and a horn. Probably 4 Ohm. Small and light (Under 30 pounds) New or Used. No particle board. No Kustom or Behringer (yes I am a gear snob).
    Jam style Rock music. 4 piece band. Guitar, Hammond B3, Drums and myself.
    I use Modulus and G. Gould basses almost exclusively. Need a Modern, Mid-heavy with clear highs that are not crispy.

Obvious choices are DNA, Markbass, Epiphani, and Accugroove

Budget about $300

2. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    First off, $300 means used if you plan on landing any of the name brands you mentioned. Second, unless you're talking stage monitor duty only, I can't see a single 10 or 12 loaded cab (unless it's one of those super cabs (e.g. Greenboy, Barefaced, AudioKinesis, etc.)) keeping up with your band.

I would recommend looking at that cab requirement and amp as a "matched set" in the context of your specific needs (e.g stage monitor or carrying the house). 300 Watts could be a touch light for some of those super cabs carrying FOH. On the other hand, if driver count is negotiable you may be fine with 300 Watts. A lot depends on what you need that cab and amp to do for you. A 4 versus 8 Ohm cab will not buy you as much as you might think and it could be very limiting (depending on the amp's capabilities to run below 4 Ohms) if you want to add a cab downstream.

Hope some of that is useful!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    Plucky The Bassist likes this.
  3. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Well, this is my small band project. I currently am using the TC Electronic BG250-112. The cabinet is horrible. The amp is ok and did fine the last 2 shows, the cabinet just sucks. It is messy sounding to me. My full band rig is a DNA 1350 into a DNA DNS-410. I have power covered. My back up rig is my SWR Bass 750 into a Schroeder Mini 12 and a Schroeder 1212. So I have back up covered.
    What I do need however is a good mini rig of doom that will run at about 300w that is not a junk cabinet.

4. If I may, I don't think you're going to get an epifani or markbass for $300. Unless you have a really good used market in your area. Maybe a Fender rumble 112 would work, but I'd check into a 115 myself as well. Maybe an Acoustic would work, they've got some neo stuff and people seem to like them. If you've got Traynor stuff in your area I'd look into that as well. Also, I've had a Hartke hd combo that I have loved in the past.

Unless you can wait and save some cash, you really need to drop the branding requirement. You can get great sound on a budget, but some brands are exclusively boutique stuff.

If you have a Schroeder backup rig, why not just use that?

Edit: sorry about the origami typo.

HolmeBass and deathness like this.
  5. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    My Schroeder Mini does not have a horn. I think with a single cabinet, I will need that. The shopping part is the easy part. I can and will find a deal somewhere some how. That I am not worried about.
    However, I don't want cheap. Inexpensive is one thing. Cheap, I already have and it doesn't work. I am looking for a small foot print which my Schroeder Mini has. Now, if I could find an original blue rat fur folded Schroeder Mini 12+, that would be cool. I know there are a few mini rig of doom combo's that would work. Just none are coming to mind. My TC is plenty loud for this band, just the cabinet is junk. Option is to find a TC 250 head and put it on top of a good solid cabinet. Or not. I am really pretty open to options, just not particle board cab's..

6. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    The Carvin MB10 looks like a little screamer. Same amp as my TC. A little lighter. Super small. DI out. Doesn't say what the cabinet is made from though

7. You could get a Hartke Hydrive 112 within your budget new from Sam Ash. 4/8 ohm switchable. May be a bit over 30#. Don't remember right now but easy enough to find out.

Al Kraft, iriegnome and deathness like this.
  8. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    nice option. Decent quality cabinet for a decent price.

9. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
  10. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Looking at a Bag End S12-D as well. A lot heavier than I want, but they are available super cheap..

11. If you need a light, loud, mid heavy, modern sounding 112 and you also need a head, why no get a GK MB112 combo?

Plucky The Bassist likes this.
  12. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    You definitely have some nice gear to cover the big stuff, so I think I get what you're looking for now. I'm in a similar place with big medium and small gig stuff. I like my Eden EX110 and GK Neo 112 II cabs for the light stuff. Using one or two of my Neo 112's I have a small footprint, no lack of upper end frequencies and a very balanced sound across the spectrum.

The EX110 is impressive for a single 10 (it's not a super 10) and it works well for acoustic style gigs. I would strongly recommend in your case that if the Eden is appealing you go for the EX112. There is no horn, but it is a "whizzer cone" design.

My only combo is a Mesa Walkabout 12 and while I think it would work nicely for what you're describing, even used it may be a bit over budget. However, if you combine your small cab and small (300 Watt) amp budget, it may be an option. The GK combos mentioned are also quite nice in my experience. I'm not very familiar with the latest Fender and Ampeg combos, but reviews on them seem to be positive.

Chauffer and iriegnome like this.
  13. Chauffer

Chauffer

Sep 27, 2016
    Oregon
    If you can handle 42 lbs I suggest an Aguilar GS112. Standing on end they take up very little floor space, can get hella loud and sound great. I have to put mine on an Auralex board to uncouple it from the floor in my house or else the windows and doors all buzz. Built like a tank too and nice used ones go for $250 - $300 around here.

dgrizzly, iriegnome and Al Kraft like this.
  14. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have heard Aggie's are really good too

15. Chauffer

Chauffer

Sep 27, 2016
    Oregon
    I traded in a pristine early SWR Redhead combo at guitar center for the GS 112 and feel confident I got the best end of that deal. Some say the Aggies are mid-scooped but I wouldn't say that. More like bottom heavy. Great for rock n roll.

Al Kraft likes this.
  16. dgrizzly

dgrizzly

Apr 28, 2014
    Mile High USA
  17. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    A redhead combo.. Nice.. Or even a Basic Black( but they are only 160w) might work as well

18. Chauffer

Chauffer

Sep 27, 2016
    Oregon
    The Redhead was nice but at 90 lbs it was too big and heavy to move around. Barely fit in the trunk of the Camry with no room for anything else. The Aggie and separate head has more guts and way easier for an old guy like me to carry.

iriegnome likes this.
  19. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    At 51 and 36 years of playing, lighter is definately a positive

Al Kraft and Chauffer like this.
  20. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Used Edens sell for approx $300.
    2x10 XLT.
    Bag End S15 $150. Loud, kick ass 15.

iriegnome and Chauffer like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021