1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

cabinet refinish options

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by great bleudini, Jul 19, 2012.

1. great bleudini

great bleudini

Sep 19, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    So I have a bassman 2x15 cabinet that has seen some better days and is need of some tlc. I've replaced the baffle, and found some nice grillcloth for the front. The previous owner had some of that spray on truck bed liner stuff which looked real ratty so I stripped it and sanded the cab down. I was looking at tolex online but last night I paid a visit to the fabrics store. I got to thinking. This isn't going to be a vintage restoration. I'm looking to do something wacky. The fabric store had a nice selection of vinyl and some animal print fur. What's the difference between tolex and and vinyl other than the texture? Have any of you used non conventional materials like a cloth or faux fur?

2. byoung

byoung

Mar 13, 2005
    Covington, WA
    DSCN0855.

It's vinyl, but from the fabric store.

from here

3. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Tolex is (was?) a brand name that gets used somewhat interchangably with vinyl. Sometimes Tolex has a cloth backing to make working with it easier.

My Trace 210 recovering used a somewhat unique tolex, and I love how it turned out.

Here is one another guy did in faux ostrich.. looks great!

But since you mentioned getting wacky, you know you gotta do it in.. wait for it... shag.

Crazy shag too. Like purple or red or fluorescent green. Something that would make Austin Powers proud.

:D

4. great bleudini

great bleudini

Sep 19, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    I had seen some tiger shag that I thought was pretty cool. I'm just wondering how hard it would be to keep it clean.

5. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    No Problem. Piece of cake. Just use a little Scotchguard. ;)