Cabinet Selection

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tenacious E, Oct 31, 2002.

1. I need some advice regarding cabinet selection. I have reviewed previous threads about smaller cabs, but none really address my specific question. I will be playing a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass with an old Gibson 400 watt head. I am looking for a smaller rig, and am considering the following cabs:
    EA CXL 112
    Eden XLT210
    Acme 210

Any of these are in my price range, but none of the music stores around here carries high end equipment like this (though I might have to make a trip to visit Gard). I basically need enough volume to play a small-medium club, in a rock/fusion-type setting. The lighter the better, but I wouldn't mind carrying the 210. I am a little worried about the 112 being too boomy. Any thoughts?

2. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I'd go for the Acme 210 - joker will back me up on this one! ;)

Lightweight, smooth tone, great for rock/fusion. The only problem is I don't think you'll have enough power to drive it well (same problem with EA but not as much). You might want to call Andy & ask him - he's a great guy.

The Eden 210 is a good choice too, but I personally don't care for the (to my ears) dark, midrangey tone.
  3. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i'm an ex-210'er.

switched to 12's.

never looked back.

hardly boomy.

my bergie 112 is only 39 pounds. i pump 425 watts into and its VERY LOUD!

4. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Yeah ya know, I didn't mention it, but I play through 2 Aguilar 2x12"s - so I'm a big advocate of the 12" sound , and no they don't get boomy - but they don't have the definition of 10"s either.
  5. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I just became an Acmephile. I received my Low B2 this week. Andy recommends a few hours of "break-in", so I haven't put the full juice to it yet, but so far I'm loving it, paired with an EA VL210. I'd say the Acme210 performs very much like a 112.
  6. Former Acmephile here. Great cab as long as you don't drive it too hard - it wants tons of power but it can't always take it.

I've been digging my 12's quite a bit - I have a Bergie HTT112 and an EA CXL112 and both are great in different ways. I think Chris Fitzgerald put it best when he described the two in L.A. Confidential terms: Bergie = Ed Exley; EA = Bud White. Both extremely effective but in different ways.

I would bet that either Bergie/EA combo or a dual Bergie setup would treat you very well and be very flexible.