1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cabinet Selection

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tenacious E, Oct 31, 2002.

1. I need some advice regarding cabinet selection. I have reviewed previous threads about smaller cabs, but none really address my specific question. I will be playing a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass with an old Gibson 400 watt head. I am looking for a smaller rig, and am considering the following cabs:
    EA CXL 112
    Eden XLT210
    Acme 210

Any of these are in my price range, but none of the music stores around here carries high end equipment like this (though I might have to make a trip to visit Gard). I basically need enough volume to play a small-medium club, in a rock/fusion-type setting. The lighter the better, but I wouldn't mind carrying the 210. I am a little worried about the 112 being too boomy. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I'd go for the Acme 210 - joker will back me up on this one! ;)

Lightweight, smooth tone, great for rock/fusion. The only problem is I don't think you'll have enough power to drive it well (same problem with EA but not as much). You might want to call Andy & ask him - he's a great guy.

The Eden 210 is a good choice too, but I personally don't care for the (to my ears) dark, midrangey tone.

3. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Redmond, WA
    Microsoft Product Designer
    i'm an ex-210'er.

switched to 12's.

never looked back.

hardly boomy.

my bergie 112 is only 39 pounds. i pump 425 watts into and its VERY LOUD!

f

4. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Yeah ya know, I didn't mention it, but I play through 2 Aguilar 2x12"s - so I'm a big advocate of the 12" sound , and no they don't get boomy - but they don't have the definition of 10"s either.

5. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I just became an Acmephile. I received my Low B2 this week. Andy recommends a few hours of "break-in", so I haven't put the full juice to it yet, but so far I'm loving it, paired with an EA VL210. I'd say the Acme210 performs very much like a 112.

6. Former Acmephile here. Great cab as long as you don't drive it too hard - it wants tons of power but it can't always take it.

I've been digging my 12's quite a bit - I have a Bergie HTT112 and an EA CXL112 and both are great in different ways. I think Chris Fitzgerald put it best when he described the two in L.A. Confidential terms: Bergie = Ed Exley; EA = Bud White. Both extremely effective but in different ways.

I would bet that either Bergie/EA combo or a dual Bergie setup would treat you very well and be very flexible.