Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabinet shopping

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BadB, Aug 26, 2005.

1. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    So, I'm setting up a pre-amp + power-amp + cabinet rig. I love my Ampeg SVT and 8x10 for all the standard reasons, especially the tone. However, I need a more portable setup, but it has to be light, portable, and loud enough to compete for my place in a live band. I already have a SansAmp RBI and the QSC 1602 amp. The SansAmp sounds great to me, and it has a fairly convincing Ampeg tone, plus a little extra versatility. So I definately plan on using them. Now I need a cab. I have read many, many good things about the Schroeder cabinets on TB. Keeping in mind my preference for the full-on Ampeg tone, does anyone think that I would be happy or un-happy with a Schroeder cabinet? Also, which Schroeder cabinet would likely fill my needs? Small, light, loud, killer tone. Thanks for any opinions.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Ampeg 810 tone in a smaller, more portable package = Bergantino NV610. Small(er), lighter.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    What Eric said.

4. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    I need the cabinet to be smaller and much lighter. Thanks though. Anyone else?

5. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    Bump.

6. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    After playing through a Bergantino NV610 last week, I agree with Eric and Cheeze.

Also check out the Schroeder 410.

7. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a schroeder 310212 on order to replace my 8x10 Ampeg. I just couldn't lug that thing up basement steps anymore! The Schroeder is only 32" high and 100 pounds or so. I'll be sure to post a review on it when I receive it.

8. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    I've had about a half a dozen different cabinets. Now, I use only a single Schroeder 410. This cabinet replaced a Basson B410B, a 160lb monster reputed to be the loudest 410 available on the market, replete with 200 ounce voice coils on each 10" speaker. The Schroeder trounces it.

I play in a metal band, and need a really present, cutting tone to be heard inbetween two heavily modified 5150 Half Stacks. Example: I was playing a show with about 300-400 people in a large, 1000 person capacity venue. It was unnccesary for me to use the PA at all, and was in fact asked to reduce my volume slightly. The Schroeder 410 will compete in terms of Volume with an 810, but more importantly the dynamics of the thing will make your sound more PRESENT and AUDIBLE at any volume range.....

Check out the Shroeders man, and you'll thank yourself later. Everyone who hears mine asks the same thing...... "what the Fu** is that thing, and where did you get it??"

9. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. But, I'm looking for portability. Ya know, 50 to 60 lbs. Would a 1210 or a 1212 be adequate to hang with a heavy handed drummer in most situations, while using the SansAmp and the PLX1602? I intend to only use the Ampeg rig at really large venues and when it's required aesthetically. It's getting old lugging around the Ampeg rig, plus I have a ruptured disc. Light, loud, great tone; that's what I'm after.

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    In a word.

Yes.

Take some time to read some of the megathread.

11. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

Ya that would work no doubt, however I would go with a 1212, just for more low end thump, but thats me.

2 of em would probably kill anyone's bowels.

-Rob

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The 1210 or 1212 will get pretty loud with 1600W.
    But I don't think any portable 2x12 can match the max output of a vintage SVT+810 system.

Whether they could work for you depends on how loud you got with your 810.

Give Jorg a call; he'll will give you some decent advice.

13. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    I don't expect it to compete with the Ampeg for volume. I just can't drag the Ampeg to rehearsal and to the smaller venues anymore. As long as it sounds great, is very light, and can drown an un-miked drum kit with ease. Thanks.

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Then 'yeah', either of the two mentioned should be fine.

The 1212 will get louder than the 1210, it's just a matter of what type of tone you're looking for.

The 1212 has a deeper, rounder tone, while the 1210 has more punch and tightness. Both have solid, powerful low end.