1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cabinet Specs Findings - Please List Yours

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chuck norriss, May 18, 2011.

1. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    May I suggest we start a list of specs, usable responses etc in cabs, say, make/model/power/freq response/weight (am I forgetting anything?), to put together a resource (and to answer "what's the best cab for doom") please be as accurate as possible. E.g:

GK / 410RBH / 800W / 31Hz > 13kHz / 100lbs
    GK / Neo410 / 1600W / 30Hz > 19kHz / 68lbs
    Genz / STL-8T / 175W / 58 > 20k / 11lbs

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Good luck, that stuff you posted ain't exactly "specs".

3. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Well they are specs, just not very helpful specs, outside of the weight.

4. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    how are they not helpful isnt this what you look up when looking at cabs?

5. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    It may be what you look up, because no commercial manufacturers provide anything else, but they describe little of value. Except the physical dimensions.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    They are what you have to go on but it ain't much. Tons been written here about it. Basically a lot of manufacturers will fudge what few specs they do give or mostly leave out useful info entirely. They would lead you to believe they could 100+db at 40hz which is impossible. There may be a nasty sounding gank in the upper mids or have all you meat-n-potatoes scooped out and there's no way to tell from those "specs" they give. About the most useful info you can glean from that is whether or not you can lift it and fit it in your car.

7. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    ...and don't forget those wonderful "wattage" ratings too!

For those who care, wattage doesn't mean squat. It only tells you when the voice coil of the speakers will melt from thermal overload.

What matters is displacement limitation (how many watts you can actually use) before the cabs won't get any louder and the speakers fart out or blow. Manufacturers won't tell you this, but just consider the displacement limitation to be about half the "wattage" rating. Meaning you'll blow those speakers long before you hit them with the manufacturers' listed wattage.

Also, the frequency range is misleading because it only tells you the range, not at what volume that range is. Again, most manufacturers won't tell you this, but you can assume in most cases that the strongest frequencies will be around 100Hz on up. Deep lows? Forget about it.

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Tom B. and crew already did mine. Check out his free reviews mag for info.

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If they were accurate and complete specs they'd be helpful. Not a single manufacturer publishes accurate complete specs.

11. 1n3

1n3

Sep 13, 2007
    USA
    Agree with the preceding posts. Even published weights have proven to be "optimistic" in some cases.

For sensitivity and frequency response, only a plot tells the whole story. The dearth of accurate specs and technical info has been discussed at great length here in the amps forum. In my dream world, there would be a third-party testing agency, supported by industry members. That agency would do standardized tests, and publish the results. That won't happen, because it's not in the manufacturer's interest.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    And......we're still talking about on axis measurements here. You'll never see off axis mention of any if this stuff as they nearly all beam worse than an 18.

13. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    This is the cab I'm building right now , the mid size bass cab .
    http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Legend_CB15_cab.pdf
    I'm putting an econowave horn\crossover I got the specs on from the Audio-Karma web site in the cab and I'll do a thread on it when I get a little further along . This is the only way I know to get honest specs on a cabinet .

14. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Agree; imo what's happening off-axis is more imporant than what's happening on-axis.