Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabinet Specs.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sippy, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Hey guys I just wanted to get your opinions on what you like to see in a speaker cabinet. I'm mostly focusing my info on your speaker preference.

1.) Prefered Speaker Company?
    2.)Impedence
    3.) Power Rating
    4.) Cone Material
    etc.

I'm looking for your preferences in 10"-15" woofers! Thanks guys!

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    2, 3, 1, 4 plus size, weight...and it has to sound good!

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Small, light, and enough SPL for loud jazz gigs. Combination of speaker, built-in Class-D power amp, and any necessary EQ to achieve f3 of roughly 80 Hz with 12 dB/octave down to 40 Hz. Dirt cheap, utterly reliable.

This is all readily available technology.

4. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    The speaker specs that matter are size (volume, dimensions) weight, and sound.

the driver cone size, driver cone material, etc is only relevant to those who design speakers, as a means of achieving a sound/size/weight.

thats my thoughts.

in a speaker, i woudl like 8 ohm, 19" wide, 15 tall, and 12 deep, +- 3 db from 40 to 10 k, and capable of 120db spl.

it should be all wood, no carpet / etc, and it should have a nice durable hand rubbed OIL finish. maybe some flat black corner protectors, with a matching large hole grill. maybe jsut some oxblood grill material.

it hsould weigh no more than 40 pounds- less is more.

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Okay how many of you prefer carpet finish to the Vinyl finishes? for say a 115, would you want it ported? A horn? What would you look for in the dimensions of the actual cab?

6. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    For me, good poly varnish would do the trick. I don't subject my gear to a lot of abuse. Carpet is awful.

I think there is growing acceptance that a multi-way system is desirable. As with driver size, the choice of high frequency components is up to the designer. I have allowed myself to be persuaded that a midrange is more important than a tweeter. The goal is good off-axis response.

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I agree with all this.
    Small, lightweight, not a lot a sensitivity, but should be able to get to 120db.

That ol' Gallien Krueger 112MBX but with a modern speaker that can handle more power, and designed to give better lower response, in trade for efficiency. Higher power class-d amps are available now. And with a tweeter added - like they had on their keyboard amp made from the same case.

The aluminum cases seems like a good idea as it would allow heat to pass out and keep the driver cooler. And it's light.

8. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    +1

Now that class-d amp designs are widespread, it almost seems like amp power is irrelevant except to the designer. Each person gets to think about how to achieve that 120 dB within different constraints, depending on what is more important -- size, weight, cost, low end cutoff, etc.

I have a DIY system that I believe delivers about 6 dB more SPL than the GK MB150E combo, and the whole shebang weighs 31 pounds. But my amp is still a Class-AB dinosaur because I am a cheapskate. And I don't trust my DIY Class-D power amp on the bandstand yet.

I think Jim Bergantino's concept of an equalized system is the right direction, and I am doing something similar, albeit smaller, lighter, and quieter by maybe a few dB.

9. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Carpet is good. Paper cones are good. Big speakers are good. But so are small speakers. Metal cones suck. My objective opinion.

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    For cabs, DuraTex - forget the rat fur or the rippy Tolex.

It's real easy to get 120 dB at speaker RMS if your head/amp can go there (actually I'm shooting for 4 to 6 dB higher even for a fairly light cab). But having that not just at icepick frequencies but also down low without overexcursion is what turns my crank. Also, to make it worth building it would be nice to have better polar resonse in the higher frequencies, which means using either a tweeter/horn combination that can cross over lower and actually sounds smooth down there, or adding an upper midrange driver.

For some people that would probably beat a tweeter if only two components were allowed.

11. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Has this been a sufficiently obtuse discussion? I think the problem may be that the items in the above list are "marketing" specs, i.e., the stuff that goes in the typical ad copy. But the responses have focused almost entirely on measurable performance, and how to get there with a product that is optimal in some way or other, whether it be size, cost, or whatever.

A similar disconnect exists in the industry. Not a single maker, that I know of, will actually publish the sensitivity curve for a mainstream bass speaker. We are given a largely aesthetic description, and forced to guess.

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Nor is the bass cabinet market big enough to courage publications that do reviews to do any measurements for reviews.

We're left with golden ear reviews.

I have to give kudos to Bass Player for at least testing some claims of manufacturers, but they don't do enough. And probably will do less after "the switch" fiasco. I imagine their advertiser encourage them to not publish such findings.