Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabinet Stack Order?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pierce, Dec 8, 2004.

1. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    i have a 1260 cab ( 12x6xhorn ) and a 115. right now i have the 115 stacked on top. is there any advantages to different stack orders?

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    IME,

You want the smaller drivers, which produce directional sound frequencies up off the floor,, & the larger drivers, which produce NON-direction frequencies ON the floor.

There's reasons why...

The higher frequencies, as I said, are directional. That means, the sound will travel in which ever direction its pointed. So, you'll hear it down by your feet. Think of a big screen projection TV, & then stand off to the side & try to watch.

3. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    i would have thought this also..but i remember someone posting something about having the larger speaker further off the floor. i dont remeber who or why now.

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I think they were referring to "coupling", which is when you have a cab on the floor, it exaggerates the low end because it actually uses the floor to disperse low frequencies.

Sometimes that is beneficial, especially if you have a cab that doesn't produce alot of low end on it's own. But in a boomy environment it can lead to problems with the low end.

Typically if you can get your speakers off the floor, the sound is less muddy, mostly because they are closer to your ears and the effects of "coupling" are eliminated.

Unless you are bi-amping, which speaker cab you have on top is irrelevent in regards to coupling. Run full range, either cab coupled to the floor will add to the low end. But if you do bi-amp and have the sub cab on the floor, it might get too boomy...whereas the mid/high cab on the floor would introduce less low end via the floor.

5. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Pierce, yeah definitly put the 15 on the bottom. Someone in the past recommended to people who had the Bergantino 115 and 210 to put the 210 on the bottom. Different deal here with those DR Bass cabs. By the way, hows that 1260 cabinet hold up with a 5 string? -Doug

6. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    I run a 4x10 with 2x12's sitting on top... Mainly because the 2x12 is a combo.. But it sounds fine to me..

I have run it both ways & really can't tell any discernable difference but as I said YMMV

Does it sound different/better/worse to you???

7. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    im not sure, as i am a 4 string player. i handles my drop d very well :D

8. For a long time I went with the way it was "supposed" to be, the 15 on the bottom- 4x10 on top. One day someone stacked my cabs for me with the 15 on top- it's stayed that way since. That's when I found out I like the sound of the 15 better. Of course, YMMV.

9. I run my 1x15 on the bottom and 2x10 on top. Since the 2x10 is a deep cabinet, stacking them upside down (2x10 on bottom) just loses me my high-end from the tweeter, which I rather miss, so the 2x10 stays on top.

The correct way to stack cabs is the way that sounds best to you and your audience.