Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabinet standards?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xb100, Aug 26, 2005.

1. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Hey guys, been gone for awhile since school+football started, but I'm glad the weekend is here for me to chill out :hyper: .

Anyways, I was just looking through some old threads and looking at gear, and it's really easy to notice how the bass industry has changed in both instruments and amps/cabs.

I remember way back when, all I saw were bc rich warlock basses and all that pointy stuff.

I also noticed that (this has been talked about before) ampeg one of the biggest bass amp companies IMO has sort of fell to the lower level of "high level equipment".

I say this because all I used to see were ampeg 8x10's+svt's or some sort of configuration of a ampeg 8x10.

It strikes me odd as how a well known brand can just sort of plumit to the ground, I always thought that the ampeg 8x10+svt was the rig of all rigs, but as time has passed, I've just realized that there are bigger and better companies out there that make better cabs IMO. (agi, eden, epifani, schroeder+1k, accugroove ect.)

A buddy of mine swears by his rig (svt-4pro+svt 410HE).

He's only powering it with 300 watts from the svt-4pro but he is still loud enough for a full band setting which, according to him is 2 guitarists, double bass drum, and vocals.

He also tunes to cgcf for the mudvayne stuff they play and he says that the 410he produces really good low end, maybe it's just the EQing he goes, but I find it hard to believe how someone can praise equipment like that and then I go and read how ampeg is nothing but mud.

I've had no experiance with ampeg, but wouldn't mind playing on some of their stuff. Given, yes there is better stuff out there as far as frequency response is, db level, weight and all that technical stuff.

But for those of you guys who have owned/played/rented or just doodled with ampeg stuff either 50 years ago or a week ago how do you think it holds up to some of the bigger name brands.

I ask this because I'm really curious about ampeg stuff and it's the only good stuff any of the dealers carry around my area, which isn't a bad thing because it allows me to play on it, which is what I intend to do.

Ya I would kill for a super cool power amp+pre amp, but I would rather listin to what it sounds like and go from there. Which is why I'm taking everyones advice about playing the equipment I'm looking at before I make a purchse.

-Rob

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Lots of things come and go and make a big splash for awhile. I don't think anyone has ever been embarassed standing in front of Ampeg gear. I'm not playing Ampeg currently but I have in the past and wouldn't hesitate to again.

3. Well, in 1969 you had three "high power" rigs to choose from. Ampeg SVT, Acoustic 360 and Sunn Coliseum. Marshall was also an option...if you bought enough of them. Fender sounded great as always but was woefully under powered and Kustom was a complete joke. There were pretenders to the throne like Road, Earth and Standel, but in the end the mighty had fallen and only Ampeg survived.

I have owned Ampeg (including the venerable SVT) and found that I don't like them, but that's not to say that I don't respect them. I went to see a band tonight as a matter of fact and the bassist was using Ampeg gear and it had that familiar Ampeg mid-range "honk" to it. It cut through the mix very nicely and it sounded good, but it's not the sound I personally want.

Not any one bass company can be all things to all players. I prefer eden cabs myself, but they're not everybody's cup of tea. The difference between now and 1969 is that we bassists have many many more chioces. That's not to say that Ampeg has gone down the tubes...Ampeg still has the sound many players want, but Ampeg certainly doesn't enjoy the market share they once did to be sure.

4. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Rob

If YOU like Ampeg, who gives a crap what anyone else thinks about it? I do like, and I don't care. :D If you are able to demo the gear then go demo it and buy the one that you think sounds the best & best suits your needs. You can talk about it here all day and that means nothing. Its up to your ears to decide. I'm not really sure if you actually were asking a question, but if you want advice on an Ampeg pre/power amp setup, I recommend the SVP CL and whatever power amp suits your needs. The SVP Pro has a bit more tonal options than the SVP CL, but I prefer the sound of the SVP CL... you may not. If you want a dual channel Ampeg pre with distortion, there is the SVP BSP. They all sound different, go try them for yourself. :)

5. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    There's a reason why an Ampeg 8x10 and the classic SVT head have been around for 40+ years...they sound good and are reliable. Survival of the fittest!!! Seriously, That rig shows up on so many live concert TV events. I think the TV producers just say to the bass player "how bout an ampeg rig for your performance tonight?" "OK! Those sound good...and if you carry it, it's cool with me!" They are a very good Rock amp, but I think they get a bad rep from some people who like a very clean, articulated sound. Ampeg does loud and dirty very well. I saw a band the other night with an 8x10 and the sound was so full and ballsy. It sounded great! In the end...don't worry about what's cool and hip in the bass world...it's your ears and your wallett that gotta decide! Just remember that the ampeg SVT CL tube head weighs in at 100 or so pounds! But it's a sweet 100 pounds!!!

6. Ampeg has a definite tone that is subjectively termed "highly colored". Love it or hate it, YMMV.

I've not played Ampeg, but have done sufficient PA support for bands using them, to not particulary care for how they sound. Again, YMMV. I do sound for kiddie punk (mainstream?) bands that drive hell out of these rigs until they sound like merde.

Ampeg also has a visual appeal that has nothing to do with sound. Last night, my daughter's band (www.aroarah.com) was the hot attraction at the CalExpo State Fair main stage, and there was a sh*tload of Ampeg on the backline stage (unused) just for visual impact. All were lit up but only one was connected, and only 1 speaker out of 6 was miced. It was driving (24) JBL 18" subs, so output was not a problem.

In the end, you will have to decide what floats your boat. Do you need "visual", or the specific Ampeg grind? If so, get the real deal. Tube SVT are expensive and heavy, but they are the real deal. I understand the Ampeg preamp with a conventional power amp (QSC, etc) gets awfully close to the Ampeg grind. Yet again, YMMV.