1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cabinet Suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkydanbass, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Hi all,

I am looking at purchasing a cabinet setup to use with my CA9 - DB680 - Glockenklang Bass Art Pre setup. I have a SA200 - NV610 setup that does the vintage thing perfectly. (The SA200 actually does everthing quite well!!).

Anyway I have been investigating all of my options to use with my new setup. Accugroove, Acme, Bergantino, Epifani, etc. I will probably be looking for a two cabinet combination.

I.e. 2 Bergantino AE410's (or 1 AE410 and 1 AE210).
    Epifani UL 2x12 ans UL 410
    Accugroove El Whappo (maybe with tri210).
    etc

I am very concerned with this setup:
    -Being Modular/versatile
    -being able to reproduce the lower notes on my five strings faithfully.

I am not overly concerned by weight.

I play many styles of music including salsa and funk but my main gig at the moment is with my original band. Similiar instrumentation and vibe to Dave Matthews Band. (I think that Stefan's Tone can be a little honk and undefined tho).

I love Richard Bona's solo project music and tone.

I would appreciate any opinions or suggestions as to what people think may be a suitable speaker setup.

Peace - Daniel.

2. Hey Dan,

Fanatastic gear you've got there man. You must be one of the luckiest guys in Australia having an SA200, NV610 and those beautiful basses.

Seeing you already have the NV610 and weight is no issue why don't you go for an NV215. Great articulation and I would imagine it would reproduce the 5 strings very nicely and honestly. I think it definitely would Salsa & Funk really well. I've heard here on talkbass that Jim Bergantino says the NV cabs sound really good being driven by led sleds like the CA9. Plus combinig the NV215 with the NV610 would be awesome from all accounts as well. You could also throw an AE210 on top of the NV215. T'Ber Dominic did this and said they really matched up very well for a very versatile sound. Don't know much about the other cabs. Out of the those I would probably look at the Accugroove but they ain't that cheap. From what I gather the AE410 and the UL410 are very similar. Probably the AE410 will give you a more solid bottom end and a fuller midrange from all accounts. I definitely will be checking them out at George's BGD when I have some time. The prices are going crazy at the moment. Don't know if it's because of the $AU or something.

Good Luck.

3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Either two Acme Low-B2s, one Low-B2 and one Low-B4 or two Low-B4s would be a fantastic complement to your rack rig and would give you such a different voice and true low B response. With that kind of power you'd have no worries about the Acmes being loud enough!

Alex

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, personal preferences are always the ultimate deciding factor, and there are a number of cabs that would perform very well, I think, but I'd probably want my audition list to include the following:

Berg AE410 x2
    Berg AE410/AE210
    Glockenklang Quattro (or Take 5) x2
    Glockenklang Double/Duo
    Epifani UL-410 (series 2) x2
    EA NM-410 x2
    Genz-Benz NeoX212T x2
    Genz-Benz Uber410 x2
    EBS Neo410 x2

Gah, I could go on and on. I guess I'm saying there are lots of great choices. :D

Tom.

5. All good stuff.

First, I would take the Epi212UL off your list... the 410UL is just as full, just as deep, and MUCH louder...same size and weight, more power handling, etc., etc.

For the Glock pre and the 680, every bone in my body points to the double AE410 rig. The tight low end, aggressive mid response, and more 'rock' type grindy upper mids and treble of that cab really would seem to mesh with the 'clean but tube warm' vibe of the 680. Also, the voicing of that cab would line up better with the big sound of the SA200 if you decide to use that head with the more 'modern' cabs on occasion.

Interestingly, I found my Epi410UL a little too wide sounding and not as punchy as I would like with my previously owned Glock HeartRock head, so I would also recommend the AE410 for that pre... again, the tighter low end and more bumped mid response would help even out the rather wide and pure tone of the Glock pre.

In general, I LOVE the Epi410UL (I or II)... deep, deep lows, even mids, and a beautiful, sweet top end that is perfect for pop and funk. However, like all cabs, it sounds better with some voicings than others, and I feel the BergAE would probably work better with the pre's you have.

The Accugroove's are just too dark sounding for me... I need more sparkle up top... especially with a more 'fat mid voiced' instrument like your Fodera's. The Acme's are interesting, but again are more 'super deep and organic/polite sounding... very, very different from the Berg or Epi thing. They are closer to the Accugroove in the upper mids and treble (more organic and smooth).

I personally don't recommend any EA cabs at this point... I and others have had big trouble with drivers blowing. Also, the NM410 only comes in 8ohm version, which never really made much sense to me.

IMO.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Even if you use two? To me, that makes a lot of sense, with a total 4 ohm load.

Tom.

7. Thank you guys. That has been very informative and helpful. I do intend to sample all of these cabs as soon as possible, but it does help to eliminate a few options along the way as I will no doubt be travelling interstate to audition them.

I have always **thought** I liked the idea of a 2x12 cabinet with no real world experience to back it up. Just one of those ideas you get in your head I guess.

I actually had every intention of sticking with bergantino, as I have been very impressed with the quality of my NV610 and the HS210 and HS112's I got to hear at the Melbourne GTG. As Tom, says there are many great options, and reading all the varied reviews here on TalkBass really does make you want one, (or two), of everything!!

One other concern I failed to mention in my original post is that I have a custom Azola UltraCoustic baby bass (laminated not carbon fibre) on the way. I have the intention of getting a micro rig to use with this, (for gigs with acoustic duo's and trios), and was probably looking at getting a 2x10 or 1x12 to use with this.

Maybe the option of getting two AE410's and an AE210 would provide the ultimate flexibility and speaker combinations. Would an AE210 work well with the baby bass?

Thanks again for everyone imparting their experience.

Daniel.

8. Bump for new question...

9. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Hey Dan,

do you really need more than a 410 and 210 combined?
    2 410s is pretty full on - most rooms here in melbourne you can get away with 1 410 for your onstage sound, and 610s for something huge outdoors - I just can't see you needing that much sound onstage? I'm not sure... i can imagine if you are going for a very pure or scooped sound which wont punch through the mix so well you might want more... just the 410 and 210 will be very flexible, you can use that 210 on its own with the Baby Bass as you say and then stack the lot for bigger stuff...

10. Hey Dave, Well I suppose need and desire are too very different things!! Of course you are right, a good 410 would most likely do the job well for the majority of gigs around Melbourne, (if not all).

I have always liked the setup of 2 cabinets stacked. Having the speakers at ear sight and feeling the bass through my whole body is very appealing. Add that to the fact that I'm turning into a total TalkBass gear whore and well...

Maybe your constant voice of reason will prevail. Thanks for the input!

11. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Ha ha ha, i love gear too man, i understand where you're coming from :D 2 410s looks monster on stage and i'll agree that having that sound pressure coming behind you sure feels good. I'm just getting lazy, i must be getting old or something... :)At least neo 410s are easy to carry, makes the 2nd trip feel much better!