cabinet suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dbgor2308, May 11, 2003.

1. dbgor2308

Nov 18, 2002
    Looking for ideas on lightwt 4x10 cab that is at a fair price. Here's what I have for a set up: G-K 400RBIII with a Berhinger rack compressor. I am currently using a very old Peavey 4X10 cab that has somewhat muddy lows and too many highs. I can't seem to EQ it out. The compressor helps even things out but I am quite convinced that most of my problem is with this ancient and very heavy cab. I have heard good things about the Ampeg cabs and I am wondering about the Avater line. Any suggerstions would be cool. What I am looking for is clear lows and punchy highs, or basically that "killer bass tone"

2. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
  3. dbgor2308

Nov 18, 2002
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you might want to look at epifani's 310, it slays most 410's and you wont have a prob with clarity

for what it's worth i still like the old swr goliath 2 410 cabinet (i belive eden still makes an almost identical model called the 410-t (not the 410-xlt))

of course, the other option is to use a couple of 210's which shouldnt be a problem as long as they are both 8 ohms - if they are 4 ohm cabs then you will need a stereo amp or on that can go down to 2 ohms
  5. Maestro4Bass

Jun 5, 2001
    Newark D.E
    Epifani T 410UL weights in at only 59.5lbs. This is an excellent cabinet that loves alot of power and sound great. However, the the price isn't cheap.
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you are sold on a lightweight 4x10, then I would second the recommendation for the Epifani T-410. However, if you want the sound of a 4x10 in a lightweight package, then a 3x10, like Epifani, Bergantino, or Demeter could be the ticket.

I'd also recommend that you not limit yourself to 4x10's and check out a 2x12. Or, if you REALLY want it all, deep lows, clear mids, sweet highs, try out the Accugroove cabs. Pricey, but very impressive.

There are tons of options out there, and with todays technology, cabs are getting lighter and lighter.

Happy hunting, Tom.
  7. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i second the 212 idea
    i am a real critic when it comes to cabs and i was flat out blown away with the epifani 212, and i got to a/b it against quite a bit of cabs. it made the eden 210xlt sound like a toy and did that with solid non flubbery lows
    i wasn't as impressed with the bergie 212 but really liked their cab with 2 10's a 12 and a horn
  8. Jonny P

Jonny P

Jun 5, 2002
    I'm a big fan of GK. I have an 800 RB, I love coupling it with a SWR Goliath 4 X 10, but the series I or II, I'm not crazy about the series III. Incidently I add a BBE stinger which makes for a warm punchy rig.
  9. dbgor2308

Nov 18, 2002
    What does the stinger do?

10. i dont know if it falls into the lightweight category but the avatar 4x10's seem to be the best bang for the buck
  11. dbgor2308

Nov 18, 2002
    Thanks dudes!!.....i have pretty much decided that Avatar is the way to go. I have read so much good stuff about them and they have a SUPER price! I will go with a 2x10 and a 1x15 setup. This should improve my sound drastically. I know now I don't need a crossover, but has anybody used one of those Aguilar preamps? Is it really worth the money?

12. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yes i have used one

but 1st - i went to my local "good" store and checked out the epifani ultralight cabs. supposedly they sound identical to the other ones but cost more and are much lighter. I picked up a 310 to see and all i can say is WOW - these cabs could put chiropractors out of business

anyhow i have tried both aguilar preamps, my fave was the more expensive one due to the tonal flexibility. I owned the single rackspace unit breifly as part of a trade and had to choose between selling it, the alembic, or the demeter. the aggie is a wonderful preamp but i prefered the voicing of the other 2. I still hated to see that puppy go
  13. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if you're looking for lightweight, yet within the GK price range, i doubt you'd find anything under 90-100 lbs.

why not get a pair of used 2x10's. pushes the same amount of air, and may even be more clearer sounding with the extra tweeter and porting thrown into the equation. but of course, it'll be easier schlepping 45 lbs. at a time, rather than having to move all 90 lbs. at once.