1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cabinet Suitable for LH1000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheAnonymousCMG, Oct 9, 2013.

1. TheAnonymousCMG

TheAnonymousCMG

Oct 9, 2013
    Hey there,
    So I'm completely new to these forums, as well as gigging as a bassist in general (normally a six-stringer when I'm out and about, but joined a band as their bassist and I freaking love it.). Anyway,I traded a guitar amp I was no longer using for a Hartke LH1000 head, and have realized that despite my years of being a musician, I have little to no understanding of Ohms, as well as RMS vs. Continuous Power etc., so this has left me in a bind. I have a nice bass head, but don't know what cabinet to purchase for use with it. I'm trying to not go overboard cost-wise ($300 to $500 ABSOLUTE maximum), so I've been looking mostly at Peavey and Fender 410 cabinets, but again, I don't understand most stuff regarding power ratings and Ohms. Bottom line: I want something that is going to allow me to be heard in the mix of my band in a live setting, that I'm not going to destroy by powering it incorrectly. Any suggestions?
    -Christopher

2. Try to download the user manual, if I remember correctly it is very well explained.

3. Your best bet would be a used hartke hydrive 410.

4. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    The Harkte HyDrive is rated for 1000W but it's 8 Ohms - the LH1000 makes 750W (bridged, max) into 8 Ohms. This will still be really loud... However, the HyDrive is also way over your budget... Used could be an option but $400 would be a coup...

I ran my LH1000 into a Vx410 (currently for sale...) for a while. It's a 400W-capable 8-Ohm cabinet. You can run it safely from one side of the LH1000 (producing 225W) or you can run it bridged but you can't turn it all the way up... Use common sense and if the speaker sounds like it's having trouble coping - it is. (I never turned up that loud...)

I found a great deal on a GK 4x12 Neo that can handle over 1000W. It was a bit over $400 but less than $500...

But this is your dilemma - get a cab that can handle all the power - which is a LOT of power - or get something smaller and use your ears and common sense if you feel you need to explore the upper bounds. 400W of ported 410 is seriously loud. It's not arena loud. Are you playing arenas?

A 212 will also handle a bunch of power now and could be paired with another 212 later. There have been several threads recently on excellent "super-12's" so the search function is your friend. Some names to look for are Bergantino and GK.

The fEARless cabinets are also excellent choices. They come up used rarely (people tend to keep them...) but they can be built with reasonable skills from available kits. Probably not in the 1000W-handling range for $400 tho...

You'll probably not need more than 400W into a 410 for a long time...

5. TheAnonymousCMG

TheAnonymousCMG

Oct 9, 2013
    Thanks for the info ArtechnikA...I'll have to look into the Vx410. I've also been looking at the Fender Rumble 410, which is rated at 1000w max and 500w continuous at 4ohms....could this thing handle the LH1000 ? The cabinet itself seems to get pretty decent reviews online for price range, so that's what's luring me towards it, but the first thing that I'd do is take off that awful 'Fender Amplification' logo from the front.

6. You can use any amp with any cab if you use your ears and what is between them.

That said, you would be able to easily turn the fender 410 into a pile of ash with that amp if you cranked it.