1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cabinet tuning question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by patman01, Sep 5, 2008.

1. patman01

patman01

Oct 25, 2007
    Got a cabinet tuning question for the speaker experts---

Put a Carvin PS 15-4 into a Peavey Combo 300--used the Carvin cause it was relatively inexpensive and the Carvin amps that use this particular speaker are very close in dimension to the Peavey cabinet (i.e. 12 inches deep)--the Carvin speaker had a Celestion label on it, and visually looks a lot like a Celestion green label speaker from their website--

Overall, the results are very good--tons of low-end boom that's pretty tight at extremely high volume levels---sounds particularly good with my electric upright--

One thing I do notice is that the high-end sparkle of the original Black Widow is not there (although there is a much better bottom-less "synthetic" sounding)...is this a function of cabinet tuning, or a function of speaker quality--or design--as in the Carvin amps that use this speaker also have a tweeter???

2. Sounds like it's the speaker...though I wouldn't say a BW has "high end sparkle." Cab tuning effects on low frequencies. Use eq to correct it if you can. You may consider an array of peizo's as a cheap solution too. Other options will require a crossover so the cost goes up.

3. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    The difference in high end you hear probably has more to do with differences between the particular drivers than the tuning. Tuning is going to effect mostly the very bottom end. I think (actually I'm guessing here) high end (on axis) for a driver like that is most effected by things like the dust cap material and size, and the cone material and design. Hopefully someone with better knowledge of this subject will chime in. I'd like to know more about this too.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It's the speaker design. As for tweeters one should never use a fifteen, and for that matter twelves, crossed directly to a tweeter, as the result is a response hole between where the woofer stops and the tweeter begins. A midrange driver should be used with fifteens and twelves, and a tweeter capable of going to 2.5 kHz with tens.
    As for the stronger mids with the Black Widow, you only hear them on-axis. Move off-axis and they disappear. With a mid driver response is uniform, both on and off-axis.

5. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I built one of these arrays for a 210. Sounds great, very cheap, no crossover needed, output is adjustable, but it must be arrayed vertically.

6. patman01

patman01

Oct 25, 2007
    Well the bottom is great--what I used for the top on the first gig with this beast was a grapic EQ, and I got a real good high end snap with that on my electric bass--the upright already sounded fine pretty much without tweaking.

There is a noticeable decrease in brilliance with the Carvin branded Celestion, but the trade-off is a more "organic" or "traditional" tone...