Cabinet volume help for Faital Pro 10fh500 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lima, Feb 5, 2018.

1. lima

lima Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Hi, I came across a great deal on two Faital Pro 10FH500's. I'd like to build one or two cabs with 3/4" ply but don't know the optimum internal volume for a good bass guitar sound. I've used WNISD before but now I have a Mac (for work). Any help with a small cab design for a single or double ten cabinet will be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

2. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    Lets see, the Fs = 60hz, Qts = 0.26 and Vas is 23liters.
    Hmm, since the Qts is really low the optimal cab volume wil be approx 16-18 liters and tuned between 60-65hz.
    I don't have my simulation software at hand so this is a rough guesstimate on the cab volume and tuning

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    lima likes this.
  3. lima

lima Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2016
    I appreciate your response, thank you !!! I will work with these parameters and I'll run it by you if thats's okay. (These speakers seem to want a very small box for high powered bass/midbass speakers)

4. Rick James

Rick James Inactive

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    The good news is that the combination of high Fs, low Qes and small Vas does mean it gets maximally flat response in a 7 liter cab tuned at 60 Hz. The bad news is the f3 is 135 Hz. That's OK in the intended application, a PA midbass, not so much for bass. I'd put them in an EBS -6 dB alignment, 22 liters net per driver, with 50 Hz tuning. It's not as good a result as with a real bass driver, sensitivity is only 90 dB, but at least it's usable, not too big, and the driver has enough xmax to take the full rated 500 watts to still give decent output. The bad news again, though, is that it needs 500 watts per driver to give decent output. If you got a really good deal they may be worth it, but it's best to model drivers before you buy them to see if they do what you want them to, not after.

lima and DukeLeJeune like this.
  5. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    Below two simulations, 1st is 17 liters tuned to 62hz, the 2nd is 22 liters tuned to 50hz.
    The latter goes lower but has a slight hump around 50hz, it will produce more low end but it will also sound a bit more sloppy then the 1st option which is IMHO the best option. Do you play 4 or 5 string? If you don't go lower then E then the 1st option would be optimal.

10FH500 17ltr 62hz.png 10FH500 22ltr 50hz.png

lima and DukeLeJeune like this.
  6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    lima likes this.
  7. lima

lima Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2016
    I play a 4 string bass and I am looking for a punchier type low end. I don't need a big low end (or expect it from these ten's) just want a really solid, clean sound. So, I'm looking for a cabinet that will help in that application. All of your help is appreciated.

Arjank likes this.
  8. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    If you want to purchase the 10FH500's then for your application it would be best to put them in a cabinet as I suggested, it will have a tight clean sound sound.
    Since these drivers have a solid xmax it's critical to have the sufficient port area, especially if you have an amp that can put out lots of power. What amp do you use?

lima likes this.
  9. lima

lima Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2016
    I use a Stewart 1.6 power amp from an Alembic FX-1 preamp and DBX EQ. I agree about the ports....What would you suggest for a 17-18 liter cab ? Dimension suggestion for the cab ?

10. lima

lima Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2016
    BadExample likes this.
  11. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    No problem Brotha lima! I was on my cell phone (out for a smoke in sub freezing weather IIRC) when I posted that, so it was terse by necessity :D @fdeck is well respected here. I expect his on-line modeling software is top notch.

lima and fdeck like this.
  12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    lima and BadExample like this.
  13. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    That amp is powerful enough to push these drivers to their xmax so I would use a flared 4" port, the length should be 23cm (9").

lima likes this.
  14. lima

lima Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Thank you again for all your help ! I finally have a weekend free to start working on this project.

15. lima

lima Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2016
    BTW....I also use an fdeck filter inline from bass guitar to preamp to keep things tight. My compliments to the chef !!!!

seamonkey and BadExample like this.