Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabinet Wattage VS. Head Wattage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bosco, Jun 11, 2005.

1. bosco

bosco

May 30, 2005
    Cabinet Wattage VS. Head Wattage

Is running a cabinet with a power handling of 200 watts at 8 ohms such as the Hartke XL 115 through a 350 watt amp such as a Hartke 3500 a bad idea? I just destroyed the cone at a gig last night with its first use. I had a Hartke 1155 combo with the same head, a 115 cab w/an additional 5" that ran great for years. I was only at about 3-3 1/2 volume last night (f'n rookie!!) Thanx

2. The 3500 is 350 watts at 4 ohms, into an 8 ohm cab it couldn't put out much more than 250 watts. 250 watts into a 200 watt cab isn't going to be a problem power wise. Unless you run a test tone into it, you'll be hard pressed to get the normal avg power output to exceed 200 watts with normal bass playing.

If you destroyed the cone, its more likely overexcursion that caused the trouble than power handling.

Could you hear the cab clearly? I think its unusual to destroy a speaker without hearing and ignoring warning signs (distortion, buzzing, farting) that the Speakopolypse is approaching.

If its the first time you used it, maybe its defective, under warranty? Pray they don't decide it was abuse and deny the claim. They may have social services won't take away your other speakers and put them in foster homes....

Randy

3. Actually it's a very good idea, problem is you weren't running a 350 watt amp into a 200 watt cab. At 8ohms the Hartke 3500 is only a 250 watt amp. Its 350 watt rating comes at 4ohms.

The bad idea is expecting a single 15 inch speaker to fill a room with bass. It can't in any but the smallest of gigs and by trying you simply have to push it too hard. You need more speakers my friend and your Hartke needs a 4ohm load to perform its best.

4. +1