Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabinet Wattage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 34 Blues, Mar 14, 2006.

1. 34 Blues

34 Blues

Oct 2, 2005
    If you have say a 500 watt speaker cab, & add another 500 watt speaker cab, does the wattage "parallel" the way the impedence does to 250 watts? Or, does it series to 1000 or remain the same, 2- 500 watt cabs? I'm thinking of adding some equipment & not sure how the wattage adds in multiple cabs.

Thanks for any info.

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Wattage is simple. Think of it like lightbulbs. If you have two 100 watt lightbulbs running, you're running 200 watts. So, in your case, your cabs can handle 1000 watts. You don't have to have a power output of 1000 watts to run the cabinets, that just tells you how much power the cabinets can take before possible damage.

3. YEA...put that in your pipe and eat it for breakfast...I guess.

haha just messin had to say it. great question though I was just about to make that post.

4. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    glad I could be of help.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Actually, one thing you also have to worry about is impedance. if one is 4 ohm, and the other is 8, the 4 will get more power than will the 8. Otherwise, it's evenly distributed.

6. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA

Good point...I didn't even think to mention that....:bag:

7. i dont know if this helps you at all but when you have a 4ohm cab and match it with an 8ohm cabs the load goes to 2.7ohm.. i dont what that means as far as powering to each cabs, just thought it may help on your quest to find your answer.

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Good point as well. This may not be good for some amps.

9. Each cabinet will still be able to take 500w. If they are both 8 ohm cabinets (which is the case 9/10 times), then each one will be taking half of the power that the amp is putting out. If they are of different impetances, then the one with the lower impetence will take more power. I'm sure there is a forumla to figure out exactly how much it will be taking but I don't know it. But when you add the second cabinet, it will increase your total power handling to 1000w but each cabinet stays the same.