1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cabinet wiring

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jondog, Jun 20, 2014.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I have two 18" sub drivers that measure 15 ohms on my multimeter. I want to load each into it's own box w/ two NL4MP Speakon jacks. What is the best way to wire these for maximum flexibility? Thanks! Jon

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Bump? Anybody?

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Normally, each NL4PM connector on a cabinet is wired in parallel. The speaker + is connected to +1 on the speakon, the speaker - is connected to speakon -1. Connecting the cabinets together with a speakon cable will connect the speakers in parallel for a combined impedance of 8 ohms.

Your amp will have an impedance requirement. How you connect the speakers will depend on what amp you are connecting your speaker cabinets to. It can get complicated. Here are some suggested wirings: speakON Wiring Suggestion - Neutrik

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    OK good, that's what I was planning but I wanted to make sure there wasn't a more flexible/creative wiring option. Thanks!

5. Your best bet is to scrap the manly 18" speakers and go with some girlyman 10s :D

6. More seriously, what the good Beans posted. :)

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    If they end up sounding good, they are more likely to be used w/ a xover as PA subs than bass cabs. I should finish this wiring today, I'll let you know how they come out. Driver size is supposed to be almost irrelevant, but my only experience w/ 10s was an SWR WM 2x10 and it did not keep up w/ a rock band. My main bass cab right now is an old EV 15+6 and I love it.