1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cabinet won't work

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kbakerde, Mar 8, 2013.

1. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    Hey, So I posted a previous thread about redoing my bass cabinet in Duratex, as part of that project, I replaced the jack panel, jack and the wiring inside the cabinet. I have rewired a lot of guitars, I have rewired cabinets, I have added a jack to a combo amp that allows me to use it as a cabinet.

All those went fine, but this time, I plug it up to make sure everything works, and no sound. I plug the head into my combo/cabinet and it works fine, so the problem is obviously with my wiring on the cabinet. One thing I can think of is the wire. I just used some 18 guage wire I got from radio shack. I soldered a red wire to the tip, black to the sleeve lug, and twisted them to plug them into the speaker in the red and black terminal.

But I literally get no sound. Looking for any recommendations. Thank you.

2. Did you use 1/4" or speakon jacks?

3. kbakerde

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    1/4". This is for an old Tube amp

4. kbakerde

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    bump

5. Have you tested the speaker itself to make sure it works ?

Is the 1/4 female you used a mono jack, or did you possibly buy a stereo or interupting jack and have the wrong connection for the sleeve ?

If all else fails, I would simply test each run of wire for continuity - it is possible to have a break in the middle somewhere.

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    OR if the drivers have spring clips for connection you have the insulation in the clip. This means no connection made.

7. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Or...
    Are the wires soldered to the driver terminals?
    Overheating while soldering can cause problems.

8. Good point! I have seen overheating of the terminals cause loss of connection to the tensile leads.