Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CrapBass, Apr 11, 2004.

1. CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX

Recently I have been searching around for a new guitar and amp. I will be mowing lawn ALL summer and will make approximately $1000. I have decided I want a Ibanez SRX-500 Bass, and I am still looking around for a bigger better amp *prefferably a smaller cab* And today I was looking around Music123 and came across a Hartke VX-410 cab, and a Behringer Ultrabass BX3000T. The Hartke is rated to handle 400W and the Behringer is about 300W power. I also ready many good reviews on both products. Both of them together will cost me about $455. I personally think this is what I want to buy, but if you guys have any insights or opinions on either of these please let me know.

2. CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    Can no one help me? I am a beginner bassist, and I dont have much experience or know much about amps. :(
  3. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That Hartke is not the greatest cab. Check out Avatar speakers if you have a tight budget.
    With Behringer you get what you pay for... :bag:
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hey is some "help".

Reviews are great, and you did a good job checking that out before you buy. However, each reviewer submits a review based on their ears, situation, room size, and experience. Reviews are just one effective way of evaluating gear.

The best way is to find a music store, and play on the gear before you buy it. If you don't know much about bass, it would be a mistake to just buy something out of a catalog or online without trying it out first.

5. CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    Yeah, thats what happened to me with the stupid guitar and amp I am stuck with for now. Rogue sucks...
    So that is why I am gonna try to find a music store somewhere and play on it. Thanks for your advice.
  6. csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I would suggest trying to find something used.
  7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I strongly second Jock's suggestion...skip the VX-410 and get an Avatar 410. Brand new, Avatar cabinets are a great value, if you can find a nice used one, you'll be even better off.

Looking for a good used head is a great idea as well. Used gear is a bargain these days and as fickle as we are about keeping our amps for very long, you should find a great supply of top quality used gear available to you. With carefull shopping and some luck, you can get one heck of a nice rig for $450.

I've never played through a Behringer bass amp, but have used their Vamp guitar amp modelers (for guitar) with great results. The brand gets bashed a lot for their business practices, which I didn't know about when buying my Vamp, but ultimately you have to decide for yourself.

Good luck and please keep your hands and feet out of the mower...
  8. I was thinking the same thing about the Hartke VX cab. It is true that reviews are opinion based and I would try before I buy but I would strongly suggest picking up an Avatar cab over a low end Hartke. You can't try an Avatar but you can return it if you don't like it.

I also believe someone who lacks experience can try plenty of gear that sounds great to them in a store but when the "new" factor wears off dissapointment can set in. I would heed the advice of the experienced.
  9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    A 4x10 is not really a "smaller" cab. If you want one good standalone cab, you should check out the Avatar 2x12. I feel the 12s give a better range than the 10s.
  10. I myself actaully own a Hartke VX-410 cabinet. Its a good cabinet for power, but it you want clarity, I wouldn't suggest it. I run it with a rogue RB-200BH 200 watt bass head that I got pretty cheap, so the combination of the two makes for plenty of power, which is what I needed at the time, but doesen't have the greatest tone. If you are going for hartke, I suggest a paper cone cabinet over their aluminum ones. They tend to break down and get real screechy after a while. From what I've seen though, hartke cabinets are built like a rock, but even so, rocks don't always sound that great, do they?
  11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Definitely the quote of the day! :D
  12. CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    Ok what do you guys think of a Fender Bassman 115? I have heard alot of good things about Fender amps, plus Avatar is WWWAAAYYYY too expensive.
  13. the Avatar b212 is $319 + $42 shipping.
    Last I checked the Hartke vx410 is 300 + shipping.

If you're patient you can get an Avatar cheaper on e-bay. Dave sells them direct through e-bay to advertise. He sets his auction price lower there and you can usually win a bid for one without competition.

In my opinion a single 15 wouldn't compare to either of these cabs.
  14. CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    Oh sorry guys, I wasn't paying attention and was looking at the list hehe. Yeah, I like both the 212 and the 410, but dont you think the 410 would be a better value?

The kind of amp that I like is a very low punchy metal sound, I dont really care much for funk or slap, so are these good for that?
  15. Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    You sound like you share my tastes. Get the 2x12 and skip the 10"s. You'll get more growl.
  16. CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    :bassist: Ok I will sure look into that. Thank you everyone for your good advice.
  17. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    How about two Avatar 15's? A bit more cone area then a 410 cab with punch and low end galore.

18. CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    Ok, I need one more question answered. My older brother says that a 300W head wont be able to power the 2x12 because of how many watts the speakers are rated too. What are your opinions on this? :bassist:
  19. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    keep checking Ebay. I bought a Mesa Diesel 1X15 for $200. Other good cabs(Ampeg, Mesa, Aguilar, etc occasionally pop up for a bargain). They might have some nicks and scuffs on the tolex, but they'll get that way from gigging anyways.
  20. CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    But is 300W powerful enough?