Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabinets and 5 strings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SirPoonga, Feb 24, 2005.

1. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I was looking at cabinets and it seems, looking at the charts, many would be ok for 5 string but a little weak on the low end. And many of the reviews of the cabinets I am looking at seem to say the same thing.

I don't have a 5 string now but I think I will get one in the future. What does one with a 5 string look for in a cabinet?

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

What's your budget?

3. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Cheap :)

Right now I am looking at the avatarspeakers cabinets. The 10" cabs might be pushing it for low end. What about the 12" and 15"?

4. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    from what ive heard, the 12s can handle a low b well, plus they're a great deal

5. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Like the SB112? That seems like a very good deal. I could build that, but for only about $15 cheaper than they sell it.

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I have one and play a 5 string (Yam BB series). SB112 handles a low B well..

7. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Thanks, I think you helped me make up my mind :)

Now, the 10s might be struggling? Even though the Delta 12LF's in an optimum box rolloff is at 40Hz.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    It seems a bit counter-intuitive, but the long-throw 8" equipped cabs from Low Down Sound actually have the best low B response of any of the "small, inexpensive" cabs I have tried. I don't know about Avatar cabs, but I have a Dr. Bass 2x10 and 1x15, and the pair of them do a low B quite well, but I probably wouldn't really be happy with just one of them, from a 5-string perspective. A single LDS 3x8, on the other hand, has gobs of low end (but not as much upper mids as the Dr. Bass 2x10 or 1x15).

Hope this helps, Tom.

9. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Tom brings up a good point.I also have an R115 from DR. Basscabs, and my 4x8 ampeg (with emminence 8's) actually is thumpier and has better lows than the 15. Surprisingly, to me at least, the 15 has a better defined midrange, and the 8's have more highs and lows. Go figure.

10. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    Just remember that the low B is at 31 hz. Most woofers above a 15" can't get that low. There are many 15s that can't even go that low.